Fixing up the Coop - roosts

Justicedog

Crowing
11 Years
May 2, 2012
Maryland
So, I’m working on fixing up my chickens coop and run. My last concern was over ventilation and I got some vent covers I’m going to try installing when I get brave enough to cut holes in the coop and it isn’t raining.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Next up is roosts. Here is what is there - what came with the coop
0EF498FF-9482-47BB-BACB-C7116AD604C7.jpeg
5C6458D5-8BDA-47FA-802B-D29E92147AD6.jpeg
6CF133DF-60A8-4617-AD69-0F3CB5BA6B45.jpeg

The poop builds up on the 2x4s that run along the back of the coop, both the one on the floor and the one mid wall. I’d thought moving it out from the wall would be a way to stop that and make the poop land in the bedding. Then reading on here, it says the roost should have 12” clearance from the wall. Mine is only 9”. No wonder my big girls have poopy butts with their butts pressed up against the wall. Who knew? (Well, you guys).

I’m not sure the best way to configure this. If I push it out to 12”, then is it going to be too close to the front wall. The coop is 4’x8’, so that would leave them about 3’ of clearance to jump down.

I was thinking a couple horizontal roosts that can be removed or lifted up for access.

80EFFEBF-7CBE-4EE0-8D2A-64EEC81454DD.jpeg

I like the ladder roosts I’ve seen but am not sure where that could go.

I do keep the water and food in the coop - water is in the coop only during the winter (and now that I’m integrating so that there are multiple Waterers.

My husband thinks I’m nuts and is annoyed that I’m wanting to make changes. “No more chickens, the others had all been fine with what they have and now you’re obsessively worried about this batch”.

Whereas my philosophy is your know better you do better.

But my goal in this renovation kick is to make everything so it’s easier.

We had to rebuild the run as the original one had a couple rotting boards. I want to add a roof so that it will be dry. Some of the cheap fixes don’t work - I tried to put up our pop up tent in the run but it was too tall as I have netting on it, so it’s in there half mast and to go into the run I have to stoop. So much for that.

I guess eventually it will get there and this will all be a faded memory.

Sorry for rambling. What should I think of for the roosts?

I’ve got 3 old hens (RIR, Americauna and Sussex) and 5 - 3 month olds (Americauna, blue rock, Partridge rock, lavender Orpington and a French black copper Marans). One of the old ones would harass the littles at roosting time so hence the netting you see up by the roost to separate the new guys from the meanie.

Would a ladder roost or two work against the back wall? Would there be enough room for jumping up and down? Or would two horizontal roosts at the same height work better? Or should I just move the roost on the back wall further out from the wall? Maybe have it angled so that it doesn’t interfere with the people door. Then make a couple ramps so they can walk up and down and I don’t have to worry about clearance for the big jump down. Or, should I put some roosts higher as there is space up?

Too many decisions! I’m a Taurus and change is not good for me.

what do you all think?

Attachments

• CA967CA4-7A99-4DCF-B8A6-B748895BA60D.jpeg
    CA967CA4-7A99-4DCF-B8A6-B748895BA60D.jpeg
    587.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 8CE97C1B-7975-484C-B777-DB1167F8CC63.jpeg
    8CE97C1B-7975-484C-B777-DB1167F8CC63.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 5
  • C13B73D3-AE62-4408-961E-A8D34334B297.jpeg
    C13B73D3-AE62-4408-961E-A8D34334B297.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 3
That's certainly a challenge.... Your hubby I mean. :lau No more chickens?

Ok....what I would do if it were mine....

2 roosts 4' long across the coop at the same height. I would make it so I could lift them up out of the way to clean.
Water and food could go closer to the door on the left in your first picture. That should help prevent crashing into them as they exit the roost.

I've moved the food and water out of the coop and into the run.

Next roost concern - making an easy way down from the roost for my old girl.

I've got 3 six year old hens, a Rhode Island Red, an Americauna and a Speckled Sussex (along with 5 seventeen week chick/hens). I've got an 8'x4' coop with a roosting bar across the back of the coop. There's a ladder on one side that Red needs in order to get up to the roost. She doesn't use it on the way down, choosing to jump very ungracefully. The other 2 old ones can get up to the roost without a ladder, but have the same plop as Red. The roost is about 30" high.

As the ladder is there, and they choose not to hop on it to get down, I don't think making another ladder in the middle is the solution.

Would putting an old chair, stool or table in there be a way to give them an easier jump down? Would they even know to use it?

Should I just stay away from the coop at wake up time and I won't see these issues? Problem solved. :D

On an interesting note, I'd had the issue of my white old chicken being mean and not allowing the littles on the roost if there wasn't a fence separating them. Tonight, I'd gone out to check and one of the littles was fussing, up and down and up and down and squawking. I came in and then back out and there she was, in between the divider and the old white meanie. I think the white one was sleeping so she snuck up there. Hopefully I won't see a mess of feathers and blood in the morning.

You've probably already done something, but regarding adding a chair, etc. to make things easier for the older ones - it's definitely worth a try. Mine are all younger, but with varying degrees of agility. The clumsier ones definitely prefer going up and down with some kind of aid (to nest boxes and/or highest roost). They seem more comfortable using a lower roost, log or cinder block vs using a ramp.

Back
Top Bottom