1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flat packable temporary pens???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pixie74943, Oct 27, 2009.

1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Has anyone bought/made a temporary pen that can be dismantled and stored flat?? Or dismantle to take up less space. I dont really have the room to build a permanent isolation pen and its REALLY annoying to spend an hour banging together something quick that isnt safe when a bird needs to be separated.

If you do have one can you share pics/plans

How big are they (actual dimensions would be nice if you can)

Do you put a nest box/roost in them?

How much time do they take to set up/pull down?

How much space do they take up when dismantled??

Cheers guys/girls [​IMG]

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not sure if this is what you had in mind, but this is what I have.

My isolation space is a metal fold up extra large dog crate that I originally bought for my dog. It folds flat to about 4 inches wide and slides along a wall in my garage. open it is about 3 1/2 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet. Less than five minutes to set up. Boring, but it also worked as a brooder too. Here is a pic as a brooder. I have extra hardware cloth around the bottom for extra protection from the cat.
    [​IMG]

I also use fold up metal dog exercise pens for tractors sometimes. I attach bird netting over the top. It keeps hawks out and chickens in in the daytime, but it wouldn't be safe at night against raccoons and such. A covered cat box served as a nest box before I know if and when they were laying.
    [​IMG]

3. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I liek the original dog crate.. but I was hoping for something a teensy bigger that I could leave the girl in for her entire recovery

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I use one like pictured above but I put a plastic dog crate about the same size at the door so they have a wire pen and a safe haven all in one. I do put a roost across the wire and most all birds use it. I mainly use this outdoors but have put it in the barn as well. I do not use it overnight outside where predators can get to them.

Have you seen the new crates that have a door on the side as well as the end? Too awesome! I am saving up to get a few of those. Oh, the possibilities.[​IMG]

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
  6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

7. chickencrazymom

chickencrazymom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Parsonsfield,ME.
    They make them for large breed dogs that are larger than the one pictured. I have a larger one, but not the largest, and we haul our piglets home in it in the spring, and hauled 26 meat birds to slaughter in it a few weeks ago. They are great, and mine still has the orig. plastic pan in the bottom of it which makes for a much cleaner vehicle ! I actually want to find the larger one, but the one that I have now is the perfect size for the back of my mini van -aka the livestock hauler !Oh, btw I found mine at a yard sale for 5$ , they sell new for over 100$ .

8. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

You can make good pens out of cattle panels Just cut the panels to size and use nylon ties to hold them together, then snip the ties and store flat. Good luck

9. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

http://www.enasco.com/product/C28481N

I
    bought two of these from my local feed store. They had two shapes. The pyramid shape you see and they had a square model too. I took the square model. I got mine on sale for $12. [​IMG]

There is no bottom, but the top has an excellent closure system. I used mine to raise the baby chicks inside. [​IMG] The dimensions were 30" high by 30" wide. Plenty of room for one recuperating chicken

Then I dismantled the cages and used them to make a large pen outside with the addition of reinforcement of rebar and hardware cloth. It has worked very well. [​IMG]

10. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, that is what is in my picture. I started with one as a hand me down from my folks. Since then, I have picked up two on craigslist for $20 and then got a fourth when some friends moved. Now I hook them in all sorts of shapes all together sometimes. It is only in my backyard and for only daytime use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by