Flat-rate Priority Box for shipping eggs ??? Good idea or not??

Sherriekim

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Southwest Idaho
I was wondering about using a flat-rate priority shipping box to ship eggs. The USPS service site says you can ship the box anywhere in the lower 48 for $8.95 with delivery confirmation an extra .65 cents regardless of weight. I was just wondering what the pro's and cons are using this shipping method as it seems the cost of shipping eggs varies greatly so most shippers must not be going this rate. I'm looking at shipping eggs and, as I'm in Idaho and most all of the interest in my eggs has been from the other side of the States, it seems like this would be the route to go. So, all of you regular egg shippers, yea or nay? What have you found to be the best route? Thanks for any and all advice/suggestions.
smile.png

IF the eggs will fit in that box and it is cheaper than going regular Priority, then I do that. Usually, I send extras and they wont fit in the flat rate box with all the packing materials I put in. I am getting ready to send less than a dozen to CA and will probably use it this week, though. I wanted to use it for your eggs, but they wouldnt fit in the largest flat rate box.

That's what I noticed too. It's not enough room for me to package as well as I like to. I've also noticed that extra weight isn't what adds to the cost so much,it's the distance traveled.

I was wondering about the size of the box and how many eggs would fit with the packing material, etc... The flat-rate boxes must be fairly small. I was trying to visual the size based on the measurements provided on the USPS website, but I'm not very good at that.
tongue.png
Cyn, based on what it cost you to mail my eggs and the amount of packing materials you used, there is no doubt in my mind, you do this for a love of the chickens and not to make money. Not that I ever thought you were doing this to make money, but you might have lost money sending eggs to me! The same thing can be said for Jody. I almost feel guilty, but not so guilty I won't get more eggs from you both again!
lol.png
Thanks for such a quick reply. Right now I'm sending eggs for the cost of shipping only as my breeds are not seperated just yet. I think I will leave it up to the buyer to decide how many eggs they want to pay to ship.

Hi!
I like the size of the flat rate box (11" x 8 /12" x 5 1/2") for shipping 2 doz or less bantam eggs or a doz bigger eggs.
I weigh the box and plug the weight and zip codes in usps postcalc to get shipping charge.
If the Priority 'flat rate shipping' is cheaper than regular Priority shipping, I'll use that.
If the eggs won't fit or I'm out of flat rate size boxes, I use a #7 box.

Lisa

I shipped lots of eggs last year and tried the smaller flat rate box and did not like it. As the others said there is just not enough room for proper packing. I found more damage to the eggs with the small box.

When I sell a dozen eggs, I usually send 14 in an 18-pack carton. Twelve in the middle and one in the middle on each end. I leave the corners empty because they are the ones that usually got broken.

There is another priority mail box that is free to get from the USPS that is the next size up, but is not flat rate, that I prefer to use.

Jean

The Flat rate boxes ship for the same price to anywhere in the U.S. I have done well recieving eggs in flat rate, especially smaller eggs like silkies or quail..

I find that boxes need to have pretty rigid packing materials around the soft materials, i.e. eggs boxed up before placing in a box really seems to help. It keeps really large boxes from crushing the small ones.

I have found that having people write "Hold at Post Office" and "Call xxx-xxxx for immediate pickup" really seems to help me get the eggs sooner (up to three days sooner.) Especially, it they have written fragile, hatching eggs on the box. Sometimes they get confused and think they are live birds. I get all kinds of questions when I pick up the eggs and I also find people who want chicks.

I have been called in the middle of the night, on Sundays, you name it and will sometimes hold them at the main hub and let me pick them up at the after hours express. The postal service can work in mysterious ways.

Successful hatches result more often from eggs that travel quickly, like being mailed on a Friday and are very well packed.

Back
Top Bottom