Flat vs "Point Down" hatching eggs

TumbleGrump

Songster
5 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Tennessee
My son got today a small incubator from his grandma with an automated egg "roller". Instead of the normal ones we have which are loaded with point down, his incubator has the eggs laying on it's sides and rolls back and forward. I thought this was a no no...and yes it's a chinese made incubator.

Lots of chicks are hatched with those small incubators. Some work fine, some don't, just like everything else. Those little simple ones may take a bit more work keeping humidity and heat right .

But yes, like they said, there is nothing wrong with storing eggs for incubating on their side or incubating on the side as long as they are turned.

I use a Hovabator with the egg roller and I have very good success. I also store my hatching eggs (pre-incubator) small end up at 50°. Turning is not needed. I have stored eggs for 22 days and had no problems with viability or hatch.
Stored eggs do lose moisture so you need to take that into consideration when you incubate them and adjust the humidity accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom