Flavored candy glass! Perfect recipe, if anyone needs it! Pic heavy...

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I discovered an easy, AWESOME way to make flavored colored glass candy that doesn't require any special colorings or flavoring oils. Here it is, and I'll post pics when mine I done setting up and everything. Right now I'm *tasting* ice blue lemonade flavored HOMEMADE candy, and it's GOOD! LOL!

BTW, you can use those plastic cookie cutters from wal-mart as moulds, I was worried at first cause I though 300 degree candy would melt them, but it doesn't!

4 cups sugar

1 3/4 cup corn syrup (the clear stuff)

1 cup water

KOOL-AID!!! Any flavor, any color! 2 packets gives it a pretty strong flavor, that's what I used for a partial recipe, I think I'll try it with just one and only use 2 packets for a full recipe.

Start out by covering a cookie sheet with tinfoil, then sprinkle the tinfoil with an even coat of powdered sugar. Set the moulds on the cookie sheet, or, if a full sheet of candy is wanted (to be broken into pieces later) pile the powdered sugar along the edges of the cookie sheet to ensure that the edges of the sheet are sugared. Otherwise the candy won't come off the edges!

If using cookie cutters, put a little cooking oil on paper towel and wipe the inside edges of the cutters with the oil.

Mix the sugar, water, and syrup till it hits hard crack (300 degrees). If you don't have a candy thermometer, you'll know when it hits hard crack when you lift the spoon out of the heated mix and the drops of mix form a thin thread or hair like strand as they fall. Don't use too high of a heat! Medium to medium-low should do it. Sugar burns pretty easily....(don't ask me how I know!) It may take 20-30 minutes to get it to hard crack, just keep spoon testing....makes the time pass quicker....

After the mix hits hard crack, turn the heat off and quickly stir in the kool aid mix. More packets make a better color and stronger flavor, or you can supplement the color without affecting the flavor with some food coloring drops. Don't keep heating the mix after putting the kool aid in, the color of the kool aid/food coloring will turn yellow-y brown if it heats up too much and will burn.

Pour the colored mix into the moulds (cookie cutters, whatever) then stick them in the fridge. After about 10-15 minutes, depending on how hot the mix got, they'll be set up and you can pop the cold candies out of the cutters just like you would break ice out of an ice tray.

TIP: When using cookie cutters, fill them almost to the brim to ensure that the candy is thick enough to prevent the candy breaking while freeing it from the cutters. Use very light pressure when freeing the candy, if using plastic cutters a very light twist is all that is needed (may need to be repeated a few times before the candy will come out).

Last edited:
Here'e the pics! I didn't test the blue stuff before pouring it, so it ended up pretty sticky and didn't harden
sad.png
tastes good though! I'm using the letters as happy birthday writing on a cake....

If you look at the top left corner you can see how the powdered sugar is piled up against the edge of the pan....that's how you want to do it all around the perimeter of the pan for a full sheet of candy...
DSCN1784.jpg

Here's another shot of the corner...
DSCN1783.jpg

Here are my cookie cutters set out on the pan.
DSCN1785.jpg

Heating the mix...
DSCN1786.jpg

If you look closely (sorry the pic is blurred) you can see the sticky drop of sugar mix on the edge of the spoon. After the majority of the spoonful has dripped off, there's a sticky strand hanging off. This is soft crack, almost done!
DSCN1788.jpg

This one is really hard to see, but if you look close enough you can see a thin hair like strand of sugar hanging off the spoon. This is left behind by the last drop that dripped off the spoon. Hard crack, ready to add the kool aid!
DSCN1790.jpg

Here are some of my green candies....They're so pretty!
DSCN1791.jpg

And here's my blue candies (the ones that didn't work) chilling in the fridge! You can see that some of the liquid leaked out of the cookie cutter, that's okay, it'll break off when the candy hardens! Just make sure that you refill any of them that drain out all the way or too low...
DSCN1792.jpg

thats so neat!!..i'm saving this page!!...for the kool-aide..do you use the un- sweetened packets..the origional ones ..that you have to add the sugar to when mixing it.....or do u use the pre-mixed stuff(with sugar added)..in the round containers?..thanks, Wendy

Quote:
I used the unsweetened stuff, cause there's already a ton of sugar in the mix. Just make sure you test the mix before calling it done and adding the kool aid, cause that's what I did and ruined a whole batch!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom