Flax Seed

sueg6255

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
LaGrange County
I read somewhere that adding flax seed to feed will boost the omega and other great things in the eggs. What kind would I buy. The article just said to add flax seed. Where would I get this and does anyone know the amount to add?

Yes I use flax seed as a treat ...I mix it in with organic yogurt or cooked oatmeal or cottage cheese....sometimes I use ground flax seeds /flour I usually get mine from a "bulk food" store or the organic section in the grocery store.....You can also buy chicken feed with flax seed etc. in it....

I buy flax seed in bulk from our local organic foods store and give it to my girls as a treat mixed with millet and any other tasty-looking grains. Flax does have lots of healthy omega 3 fatty acids that end up in chicken eggs; from what I read online is at least one of the 'secrets' used to produce those omega-rich eggs you can find in grocery stores. My chickens love it and I don't; I figure I'll get the benefits second-hand if I feed it to them and eat their eggs...everyone is happy! :)

Back
Top Bottom