flea treatment options??????

maybe someone else knows what Im talking about but I remember something about feeding them some type of yeast, I think in a capsule, thats makes your pets blood less appealing.

I have a TeaTree all natural shampoo i use on my dog, she is allergic to the bites. I get it at the pet store. I also use BioSpot treatment. I gave her a bath before the treatment because she was biting and sure enough a couple fleas came off in the bath.

Here's a tip that was given to me by a breeder friend and my longtime dog guru, for dealing with fleas in the house:

There are "flea traps" you can buy, that are kinda expensive. But, if you just get the refills (which are basically sticky traps), you can rig up the same kind of trap simply using plan nightlights. Just turn off everything and get the house really dark, and tape the sticky sheets to the wall beneath the nightlight. The fleas will be attracted to the only source of light in the room, and will get caught.

IME (and this includes living in Southern US climates, not just up north where I am now) it makes a BIG difference if you vacuum the house and furniture every day or two, at least for a couple months, and use a premise spray that contains Precor (an insect growth inhibitor, prevents flea larvae from becoming adults) everywhere that there are crevices you can't reliably vacuum into.

This is not a substitute for treating the animals, but if you just treat the animals and slack off on the rugs/floor/furniture/bedding/etc you will get nowhere.

Personally, you could not pay me enough to get me to bomb my house with a chemical flea treatment -- they just are not safe enough IMHO.

Good luck,

Pat

Frontline Plus and Siphotrol
thumbsup.gif

Uh-oh...and here we are in major flea season, when they are super motivated to find a nice home indoors, speaking from the perspective of a colder climate.

I SO much appreciate everyone's input...I am learning a lot about other options.

Last Sat., I took Sandy to the vet and got a new pill that had to be taken with a FULL MEAL (for the life of me, I can't remember the name, but will pass it on when it comes to me)....

...we rounded out our day with a flea dip at the local doggy-spa...and everyone is flea-free and resting easy! (for now!)

We have started using the flea pills, we have been using them for about 2 months and so far so good! And it wasn't to expensive for us, it's like $10 a pill for the smaller dogs (and lasts a month), and $11 for the bigger dogs. Cheaper then I can get Frontline (which doesn't work at all for me) and much cheaper then Advantix. Just wish they had one for the cats.

We have also tried the TriForce which did seem to work, but made my small dog sick, also it only goes up to 60lbs and I can't afford to buy two+ doses for my bigger dogs (the pills only go to 120lbs, but they seem to be working even though my dogs weigh more).

So we're giving the pills to the dogs and TriForce to the cats and for once we seem to be flea free!

Quote:
im on a show group, and Comfortis i am pretty sure its the same stuff made a whole kennel of shelties (well not really a kennel about 10 shelties) severely sick. Two almost died from it.

Quote:
supposedly garlic supplimentation can help that..however my best friend fed her dogs daily garlic pills and both developed flea allergies obviously didnt work lol. PLus garlic and onions are bad for pets.

Back
Top Bottom