Fleas around eyes

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
I have a rescue bird has been in quarantine in a pen separate from the others. I noticed today that she has fleas around both her eyes. I treated her pen with Diatomaceaous Earth and Manna Pro Poultry Protector spray. Now I am trying to rid her eyes and the rest of her of the fleas before I put her back in the pen (I now have her in a kennel). I will spray her with the Poultry Protector, but don't want to spray around her eyes - but that is where the fleas are. Is it safe to soak a cloth with the Poultry Protector and wipe carefully around the eyes...and will that be effective in killing the fleas?

Cat fleas won't live on birds, so managing the cats is a separate issue. For the cats, Revolution, Frontline, or Advantage all work well, and check with your veterinarian about the best product to use in your area.
For the chickens, only permethrin or pyrethrum are useful and approved. Don't use carbaryl, or any of the pet friendly products!
Keep the cats out of the coop when you use permethrin spray, and it will be okay once it's all dry. You will need to repeat the treatments on the birds and the coop at least every ten days x three treatments.
Wipe the permethrin on her face, don't get it in her eyes.
Mary

I have permethrin but I also have five farm cats that have access to her pen. So I can’t use it in the pen because of its toxicity to cats. However I will use it while I have the hen in the kennel away from the cats at least until I rid her of the fleas. Once I return her to the pen are there any suggestions on keeping the pen free of fleas other than permethrin?

Last edited:
Fleas live on animals. They lay eggs on the animal and the eggs fall off into the environment and hatch. Flea eggs love a warm moist dark environment-sorry, Florida. I would rake out the pen and dispose of the bedding somewhere animals can’t access, burn it or turn it into the middle of a hot compost pile. Treat the pen with a spray or fogger that has an insect growth regulator (IGR) in it or perhaps sprinkle with DE, although I don’t think that is good for your poultry. The IGR will prevent flea eggs from hatching and developing into adults-this part is crucial. You can also treat the rest of the environment by spreading an adequate amount of beneficial nematodes. Give flea spray or DE a few days to work before replacing dry bedding material.
I would treat the cats and the chickens with Advantage for cats. Treat monthly to eliminate the problem. Treating the chickens for a couple months is probably adequate as long as treatment of the cats is continued if they are the source of the problem. I personally have found that Preventic collars are a great way for ongoing parasite control on my cats. Although the collars are labeled to last 8-9 months I have found they work well for more like 6 months.

Yes, she got the fleas from the pen. I am thinking of treating the pen with a flea powder for cats. I will check out the ingredients and research what effect if any it would have on poultry/peafowl. Have you had any experience in this situation? Or, any other ideas?
If she got them from your pen then you do need to treat the pen. I think I read somewhere that it's suggested to remove all bedding and poop, burn it, and treat the area with permethrin. I guess you could use cat flea powder, but that's expensive. Maybe you could use Sevin (carbaryl) instead.

@Folly's place and @CatWhisperer, if you had to treat a pen for stick tight fleas that cats had access to, what would you do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom