Fleas infestation

jbob

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 4, 2014
Pasco co. florida
I have lost one bird every week and I believe it is due to fleas , just when I think it’s under control it takes out another bird . I have put petroleum jelly on the areas where I see them on the bird , I have sprayed the nesting box with permitherin and give DE to dust bath in . This has been a ritual for the last three months and it seems to work if you stay on it . It appears to only kill my birds that don’t roost and like to stay in the nesting box for the night. Just found another bird after I came home from work last night , she was shaking and could barely stand , I picked her up and I could tell she was covered again in fleas , she then started to vomit, so I put her in a dog crate in the garage away from the others and try to get the fleas off and covered in petroleum gel, I went and cleaned the coop again and treated last night with permithein. She didn’t make it. This has been an every Saturday chore and now the birds can’t handle it any more . Any ideas on what I can Medicare with and or chemically treat the coop with . I would rather toss eggs then lose any more of my girls .

I have lost one bird every week and I believe it is due to fleas , just when I think it’s under control it takes out another bird . I have put petroleum jelly on the areas where I see them on the bird , I have sprayed the nesting box with permitherin and give DE to dust bath in . This has been a ritual for the last three months and it seems to work if you stay on it . It appears to only kill my birds that don’t roost and like to stay in the nesting box for the night. Just found another bird after I came home from work last night , she was shaking and could barely stand , I picked her up and I could tell she was covered again in fleas , she then started to vomit, so I put her in a dog crate in the garage away from the others and try to get the fleas off and covered in petroleum gel, I went and cleaned the coop again and treated last night with permithein. She didn’t make it. This has been an every Saturday chore and now the birds can’t handle it any more . Any ideas on what I can Medicare with and or chemically treat the coop with . I would rather toss eggs then lose any more of my girls .
If you’re willing to toss eggs. Frontline spray and sevin dust.

I am willing to try anything at this point , how long do you toss the eggs for and I’m thinking of worming them while I have them down

I am willing to try anything at this point , how long do you toss the eggs for and I’m thinking of worming them while I have them down
I usually just toss them for about 2 weeks but generally I treat all my birds in late fall or the end of winter when most aren’t laying anyway. Once a year is usually all it takes. I’ve been using the same treatment for over 10 yrs for mites and lice. It works and should work just fine for fleas too.

Back
Top Bottom