Flemish Giant help

Kidhenduckohmy

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2012
Upper Michigan
My daughter had Flemish giant babies June 3rd. Today, one of my younger children was surprised to find another litter. Needless to say, we are NOT happy. My daughter is very careful to make sure the two are separated. The only thing we can figure out is that the neighbor girl must have thought it funny to see them together. Like when she thought it funny to dunk our Silkie rooster in the duck pool(She was banned from the house for a month for that one). Anyway... now we have seven four week old baby Flemish and another litter of ten! How do we keep every one healthy? I am at a loss on what to do. My daughter is furious. She was only planning on doing one litter a year.

Unfortunately the younger litter may not survive because if the age difference. Rabbits feed twice a day and not only are the older ones bigger, she doesn't have enough tears for all 14

If you want the second litter to survive, you will need to wean the first litter. As in, remove them and put them in a separate cage, away from the doe and the new litter. While we prefer not to wean that early these days, people who raise rabbits for meat do it all the time, and most survive, no problem. At 4 weeks, they should be eating well enough that most of their nutrition is coming in the form of solid food, anyway.

At this age, they should get whatever pellet you feed, hay, water, and that's pretty much it, though some people give a little dry rolled oats and/or Calf Manna when faced with early weaning like this. Good luck!

My daughter had Flemish giant babies June 3rd. Today, one of my younger children was surprised to find another litter. Needless to say, we are NOT happy. My daughter is very careful to make sure the two are separated. The only thing we can figure out is that the neighbor girl must have thought it funny to see them together. Like when she thought it funny to dunk our Silkie rooster in the duck pool(She was banned from the house for a month for that one). Anyway... now we have seven four week old baby Flemish and another litter of ten! How do we keep every one healthy? I am at a loss on what to do. My daughter is furious. She was only planning on doing one litter a year.
If you know how to sex them separate them and put pad locks on there door's thats what we did when I was a kid cause we had a neighbor just like that

Back
Top Bottom