Flemish Giant Rabbit makes strange noises, could be throat/asthma issue?

EIEIO_farm

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
I have two very large, healthy Flemish Giant bunnies. They’re sisters, about 2 years old. I got them when they were little babies from a family that didn’t intend to have a litter. The one that has the breathing issues was always (and still is) a bit smaller but still healthy. She has always made a strange snorting sound when she gets excited, exhausted, scared, etc. We always thought it was just a funny quirk but does anyone know if this is something that needs more attention? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Her name is Shorty!
I also want to disclose that she had a major abscess on her back, surgically removed about 10 months ago. But the strange noises she made have been there before and after that ordeal.
B2424FD9-F6AA-4867-B791-D17770CC6F61.jpeg
15C7A549-AD17-4524-8A7A-018D5DBAB4CE.jpeg
7ED60D51-C3CD-4568-AC00-6BDB1A44686C.jpeg

I love your rabbit pictures (and the guinea pigs, too); I have always been interested in Flemish Giants! We have a Himalayan rabbit and a Chinchilla Dutch, and the latter also makes those snorting noises you mentioned. I have been wondering about it, but do not have an answer for you. Sorry!

Attachments

• WurlyBunny.JPG
    WurlyBunny.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 5
What gorgeous rabbits! :) Does it sound at all like a grunt or growl? My lionhead will growl/grunt at me, but I wasn't sure if this is different than what you are describing.
It’s like a snorting noise, almost like the sound that pugs make sometimes. And it’s not directed at me, or anyone else. Because she makes that sound when she’s just hopping around by herself too.

What gorgeous rabbits! :) Does it sound at all like a grunt or growl? My lionhead will growl/grunt at me, but I wasn't sure if this is different than what you are describing.
I love your rabbit pictures (and the guinea pigs, too); I have always been interested in Flemish Giants! We have a Himalayan rabbit and a Chinchilla Dutch, and the latter also makes those snorting noises you mentioned. I have been wondering about it, but do not have an answer for you. Sorry!
Thank you!! They’re very sweet, and I love them. They are a little sassy sometimes, but aren’t all of us girls?! 😉😂
If I get an answer I will reply it to you!

Back
Top Bottom