1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FLIES!!! Are any of these things toxic to chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KristyAz, Jun 26, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Are any of the following known to be toxic to chickens:

Skins So Soft
    Citronella Oil
    Eucalyptus Oil
    Dish Washing Liquid
    Pine Sol
    Tea Tree Oil
    Lavender
    Sandal Wood Oil
    Garlic

You can probably tell I am having a massive fly problem and looking online for some remedies.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I know tea tree oil is. Probably citronella too. I'm not so sure about the others. Have you considered DE? That is what I use and it works very well. [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I can't tell you any specifics, but chickens have very sensitive respiratory systems, and most of what you listed works as an aromatic oil. I wouldn't use any of them. I just use the horrid sticky fly strips, hung where the chickens can't get tangled in them.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:I wonder if that is what happened to Impy? [​IMG]

Essential oils can be harmful to a variety of animals. I avoid them as much as possible.

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You know those fly traps in the yellow and green bags you get at hardware and farm supplies are non-toxic.

6. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Quote:Yes, we have a similar product, and it did work. However, we are losing the battle. I need something to kill a bunch all at once that is also safe for the chickens.

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    A little Vanilla Extract (gotta be the real stuff) will drive them away. You can also, try a bug zapper and scatter DE around. Good luck!

8. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Ok, thanks everyone.

I soaked some paper towels in pure vanilla and hung them from the run wire.

Also, made a mixture of Palmolive and white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and sprayed the wood and ground.

So far, it looks a lot better. The mixture above makes the flies so they cannot fly and the chickens are having a nice feast. The mixture also seems to deter them from the wood (outside perch, walls of the coop, and porch)

I'll go back out in an hour and take a look.

Edited to add: We do use DE on a regular basis out there as well.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  9. bevsbirds

bevsbirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Can someone give the amounts you should use of the Palmolive, vinegar and water to make a gallon of spray to control the flies? Thanks!

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sand in the pen helps cut down on the fly population greatly. I use sticky fly strips as well. I've used vanilla air fresheners (for cars) hung in my garage to deter flies, seemed to work ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by