Flies everywhere

3x with what others have said to stop attracting the flies in droves.

However, I think these products are an EXCELLENT band aid solution to cutting down fly numbers fast. Like I said though, just a band aid so if you don’t want to be constantly buying these you need to remove the attractants in the coop and run.

Attachments

• IMG_5655.png
    IMG_5655.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
I have tons of flies every year. They don't bite the girls but they are super annoying. They've almost all left for autumn now, for me. It happens every year and I never do anything about it. If they are biting the girls, it would be a different story.
Ok thank you for the info

What kind of flies?

Large quanities of your regular harmless house or fruit flies always signals to me that I have a moisture problem in/around my coop - typically poop staying wet for a long time because there is a drainage issue or it's not getting burried properly due to the bedding being scraped away by the chickens under a roost, etc. If I see either of those type of flies in any kind of abundance around my chickens, I look for wet areas, scoop out any soggy stuff, and re-cover the areas with dry pine shavings or wood chips to mitigate the moisture. The flies usually leave pretty quickly.

Biting flies like horse and deer flies are another matter...I get those traveling through sometimes too because my neighbors have horses and cows. I never see them harassing my chickens though, just me lol.

No-see-ums ad other biting gnat things are a seasonal nuissance that have nothing to do with my coops, but again the drier I can keep everything in and around the chickens the less interested they are in going there. Keepnig nearby, open grassy areas mowed quite short is about the only thing I've noticed decreases those.
Thank you for the info!

What kind of flies?

Large quanities of your regular harmless house or fruit flies always signals to me that I have a moisture problem in/around my coop - typically poop staying wet for a long time because there is a drainage issue or it's not getting burried properly due to the bedding being scraped away by the chickens under a roost, etc. If I see either of those type of flies in any kind of abundance around my chickens, I look for wet areas, scoop out any soggy stuff, and re-cover the areas with dry pine shavings or wood chips to mitigate the moisture. The flies usually leave pretty quickly.

Biting flies like horse and deer flies are another matter...I get those traveling through sometimes too because my neighbors have horses and cows. I never see them harassing my chickens though, just me lol.

No-see-ums ad other biting gnat things are a seasonal nuissance that have nothing to do with my coops, but again the drier I can keep everything in and around the chickens the less interested they are in going there. Keepnig nearby, open grassy areas mowed quite short is about the only thing I've noticed decreases those.
They have actually gone down a little now that the temptature has gone down. We have lots of spiders that have been eating them aswell.

Back
Top Bottom