Flies, flies, flies!

Quote:
I don't buy "food grade"... The kind for pools is NOT what you want, but you can buy bags for gardening (and I use this one) at stores like ACE (maybe lowes? I haven't looked there) and on line.
Is there a reason for food grade? I've never EVER seen anything labeled as such?

some people use the food grade like as a supplement for themselves and their animals. Like I said before I use stall dry not DE its just to expensive with shipping, you cant find it around here. So anyway I had heard that white vinegar may help. IT DID NOT. At all. I sprinklied the bedding with Stall Dry. Stired it up good with the pitch fork and added new bedding on top. NO MORE FLIES:) DE its good stuff:)

Is there other ways to help with the fly problem?I live in Florida a the rain has been so bad which keeps the chicken poop wet.Help

I don't know what they are called but it is a bag that you hang and it attracts the flies. All you do is add water and hang it where you want the flies to go. I would suggest somewhere by your coop but away from where you have to walk because it really stinks bad. When the bag fills up just toss it away and replace it. It works for me very well. And I don't have to walk into those sticky fly strips. No pesticides either. I think it has yeast inside the bag and as it ferments it stinks and attracts the flies they go in the bag for the smellie goodies and can't get back out and die.

STALL DRY, or something like Stall Dry, or DE people! It dries the poop out. It nutralizes the odor and it begins the decomposing process faster and speeds the whole thing up. I swear you don't need the jar that smells like a dead squirrel or the sticky icky fly paper or anything else. I promise
smile.png

Stall Dry is cheaper and is mixed with clay. If it works for horses and cattle don't you think it would work for a few chickens. (Nod your head
smile.png
) Yes it does work.
smile.png

Last edited:
my TSC stopped carrying stall dry and switched to something they said was more effective and you use less. called PDZ or something like that. it was $10 for 25 lbs and in our coop we used probably a few pounds just to dry everything out from all this rain. and added some shavings too. it has worked great!! no more amonia smell and they are dustbathing again! can't dust bath outside yet because it rained the other day, but we are getting there!! I think it cut down on the flies too. we will be buying this from now on. we havent' found anywhere around here that sells DE instore..the last place that did, discontinued it. I will probably order some from custom milling. they seemed to be pretty reasonably priced. but we needed a fix now!

I ordered my DE from Countryside Natural Products, Inc.(www.countrysidenatural.com). It was $25.00 for 50lbs. and shipping was $16.30 for a grand total of $41.30. Not bad considering the ridiculous prices that places around here want for it. I ordered it on a Sunday night and it was on my front porch Tuesday morning at 9:00am. The bag was shipped in a box to prevent damage to it. Very pleased with the transaction.

I would love to order some, but I am new to this. What exactly do I do with it? Do my chickens eat it? Do I throw it outside the coop? Etc? Thanks for the your help! -Newbie
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom