Flies, Oh so many Flies!

wanttobefarmer

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Elgin, TX
Does anyone have any good organic solutions to flies in and around my chicken coop? We have been using DE, mixed in the shavings, dusted the chicken yard and the chickens. However we still have alot of flies.

I like to use only natural products around my birds as well, but for flies I use plain old fly traps and bait from the feed store. They're the only thing I know of that work. Maybe someone else knows a good natural method.

take a two liter bottle cut right below the neck cut it completely off. put water and a piece of raw meat in it. take the top turn it upside down and tape it to the bottom. make sure the lid id off. the flies will fly in through the hole to get the meat and they will not be able to find a way to fly out.

Thanks for the suggestion It sounds really interesting i will try it within the next couple of days and let you know how it worked.
Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, i"m going to try using traps but i would like to eliminate them from even hatching. good luck on your duck pond
Quote:

also some people make a "maggot can" which is a can of dog food with holes in it and the lid half off the flies lay eggs in it and then the maggots drip out into a tray where your chooks can snap them up as a tasty snack basically eliminating the "baby" flies..... the more the chickens eat the less flying around.

I mix 10% DE into my chickens feed, and it makes their droppings dryer and less attractive to flies. It has really cut down on the flies and seems to work as a natural wormer. Since I have been using it, these are the healthiest chickens I've owned!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom