Flies what to do

jshep

Chirping
Jul 12, 2018
Alabama
What is the best stuff to stop the flies i have way too many flies. Is it the food or the poo? Please give input. We feed them Dumor 16% crumbles. Is that good feed or could it be attracting the flies? Do we need to change the chickens feed - they seem to like what i am using. Thanks for any help

I've never had a fly problem with the chickens, and I used to use Dumor as well (found a cheaper feed.) I suspect the poop is the problem. You can spray stuff, but the more efficient method might be to change your husbandry practices.

How are you cleaning your coop and disposing of the mess? Do you have a moisture problem? How crowded are your birds? Do you put anything on the floor of the coop? If so, what?

You can buy fly traps with a blue liquid attractant in it from feed stores. Kills flys dead and fast!
Always hang it high so no other animals can get in it. It kills everything that touches it, and fast.
Seems like it used to be called Merlin or Melvin or Melrin. Just ask about it at the feed store.

How are you cleaning your coop and disposing of the mess? Do you have a moisture problem? How crowded are your birds? Do you put anything on the floor of the coop? If so, what?
This^^^

Take care of the source of the problem, instead of poisoning everything.

Also... what is your location?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-9-21_7-59-45.png

You need deeper bedding in the coop and the run. As in hay or straw, or other bedding piled about 8 inches deep. Most if not all of the dirt needs to be covered. Take your feed out at night, feed only enough for the day, or if you can schedule it, feed only enough in the morning, and then again in the late afternoon. Remove and wash out your feed bowls.

Put your water in a closed bucket, using nipples to water your chickens. Flys are attracted to moisture.

If a certain area gets poop and flies, throw scratch directly on it. The birds will scratch that area up, breaking up the poop, drying it out, and burying it underneath.

If these options don't help, you may have to look at the size of the area and the number of birds you have.

Mrs K

I've never had a fly problem with the chickens, and I used to use Dumor as well (found a cheaper feed.) I suspect the poop is the problem. You can spray stuff, but the more efficient method might be to change your husbandry practices.

I just turn the dirt in their pen . I use ceder wood chips on the dirt ground and I have a roof over their coop and we only have 8 chicks I think they have enough room according to the guide lines.

Back
Top Bottom