Flies

This is the third thread about flies tonight. Looks like we are really in for a bad season. And it isn't even hot yet.

Oh how I miss DDT.

Rufus

You can reduce the amount of flies by shaking/sprinkling wood ashes in your coop and pen. Lime will help too. Both will help with the smell as well. It seems I get the most flies during the wetter months in spring.

Would charcoal ash work?
hmm.png
We use a charcoal grill quite often so I some of that on hand already.

Quote:
Love the predators! They work great. Just do not sprinkle them where chickens could eat them before they can hatch. The place I get them from warned me of this when I said we needed to count chickens this year. They said if your chickens free range you can also just hang the bag up rather then sprinkling them around.

Robin'sBrood :

Would charcoal ash work?
hmm.png
We use a charcoal grill quite often so I some of that on hand already.

Don't know about the charcoal, probably won't hurt, but by wood ashes, I mean firewood, mostly oak, or campfire ashes.​

Quote:
Don't know about the charcoal, probably won't hurt, but by wood ashes, I mean firewood, mostly oak, or campfire ashes.

Great. If only I had read this a few hours ago. My husband just shoveled out and spread around the ashes from the wood boiler. I'll have to wait until next season to try it.

Back
Top Bottom