Flies

ducklover15

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
South-Eastern Michigan, USA
How do you guys control flies?

I've noticed they're really bad in the pen this year. I've planted new grass to keep the smell down, but it's not helping. I notice the flies hang around the food the most.
I have a very hard time keeping the area around the food and water clean and I can't seem to grow grass there.

Any suggestions?

I saw a product for horse facilities once that reduced the fly population on farms. It was a live little organism of some kind that fed on the larva. I'll see if I can find it...should be totally safe.

I found a web site showing how to make a DIY fly trap. I followed the instructions for using an empty 2 liter pop bottle. Apparently, results vary, but mine has, in about five days, already caught dozens of flies, large and small. I put it next to my ducks' night pen.

Here is the link

http://www.persistenceunlimited.com/2008/04/diy-fly-trap-from-a-plastic-bottle/

The bait I started with was some hours-old wet cat food in water.

Spaulding Labs sells fly predators. They are wingless, stingless, parasites that eat the larvae of flies. We have horses and have been using them for probably 7 years. They do make a difference in the number of nuisance flies that we have. They don't take care of all the different types, but the ones that hang around the manure are greatly reduced. I don't know if they are worth it for someone who only owns ducks, because they have to be able burrow into something, for example the manure pile. If you just put them around the duck pens, the ducks will eat them!
I'd google fly predators and then call the companies to see if they would work with ducks. We've used both Spauding Labs and Arbico. Both customer service people were very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom