Flight feather growth question

jduckymomma

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2019
Hi all! I have a question about the appearance of my 1 month old Cayuga's wing growth. I have never noticed the feathers on my other ducklings sticking out so profoundly while growing in. I'm sure it looks more dramatic because of her dark color (this is our first Cayuga), but I just wasn't sure if the direction in which these are sticking out is normal (sticking out away from her body and sort of upward). Can anyone tell me if this looks normal? Thanks!
20190919_205206.jpg
20190919_205749.jpg
20190919_205247.jpg
20190919_205206.jpg

Oh no, I hope not :-( I thought that came mostly from poor diets of bread and other high carb things that humans feed ducks.....I have them all on Flock Raiser, occasional meal worms and greens or fruit for treats.

Oh no, I hope not :-( I thought that came mostly from poor diets of bread and other high carb things that humans feed ducks.....I have them all on Flock Raiser, occasional meal worms and greens or fruit for treats.

From what I've read on the subject, too high of protein is a factor, the target is 16-17% protein (Flock Raiser is 20%) - also, meal worms are very high in protein. Also - not sure this is what you're experiencing, to be clear. But, here's a good thread with more links to research -- from experienced duck keepers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duckling-angel-wing.1328480/#post-21675453

That does look like the beginning from what I can see from you pics. It can also be a genetic issue. So wrapping is the only way to get the wing to grow normally. Usually takes less than a week if caught in the stage it is now.

Thanks all - I bought some raw oats to mix in with their feed tonight to reduce the protein intake a little. I think I will wrap her wings for a few days just in case. If it's not angel wing beginning, it won't hurt her to be wrapped for a few days, will it?

I didn't have any of these problems with my first two ducklings, and now I have one that is sick and just lays down ALL THE TIME and barely walks, and now this :-(

These ducklings are a little more confined than the first two, simply because I have to keep them separated from the older two. They are in a large-sized doghouse (about 3ft. x 5ft.) for sleeping at night (with a heat panel on one wall), and they have access to an outdoor run connected to the house that is about 5ft. x 6ft. during the day. Is that too little space for 4 ducklings?

I took the food and water out of the coop at night after 3 weeks, so now they only have access to food and water from sun-up to sun-down in the outside area. I have been adding 250mg per gallon of pure niacin powder to their water.

They get a swim either in the bathtub inside with lukewarm water or in a kiddie pool outside with lukewarm water at least every other day for around 30 minutes usually, and they come inside and hang out/walk around in the house for about an hour every afternoon with my kids.

Any suggestions of things I should do differently?

Purina Flock Raiser. It's 20% protein. Shezadandy suggested this might be a high level of protein. I have used Flock Raiser for my first ducks since we got them (at 4 days old) through their whole life so far (now 14 months old), so I assumed it was ok for these new ducklings also. Are there maybe different needs for different breeds of ducks? These new ducks are all different breeds. Our first two are a buff and Pekin (drake), these four new ones are 1 Cayuga, 1 white crested, 1 welsh harlequin, and 1 blue swedish.

Honestly it isn't the feed. Many of us use Flock Raiser at 20% it's excellent feed and formulated for all poultry even has the right amount of niacin in it. But just like leg issues some ducks can have problem with angel wing which can also be genetic so possibly this was handed down through parents. It's a pretty easy fix if you catch it early and you have. usually less than a week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom