flightly chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Dec 26, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have one group of chickens that do not jump at almost anything. I have one group of chicks that seem calm, then I have one group of chicks that jump at everything. Is there anything I can do to calm down the flighty ones?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine are the same way. I'd have to say my welsummer chicks are by far the jumpiest ones. My marans chicks are pretty laid back and so are most of the others from this last month's hatches. I've been trying to get the welsummers to not have a heart attack everytime I have to open the door to their brooder. They've been treated the same as my other batches. I've got some older welsummers and they've never been my friendliest chickens but I don't think they were ever this jumpy!!

3. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    ok i got some leghorns and andalusians and my 2 bjg hens. as ya know everyone says they are flightly. but i found that if i spend time with them and feed them grass and scratch through the fence . over time they will become friendly. i have a bench near the run. i go out and sit and watch them with the kids . now they come up to us eat the feed out our hands. i have found that just spending time around them so they know ur not gona hurt them helps the more time the better. in the summer when the sun gets low we go out sit and watch and feed the chickens maybe an hour at a time . good time for me to wind down and spend alittle time just talkin to the kids and they enjoy feeding the chickens. lol call me country and maybe crazy but i enjoy it lol.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by