Flighty chickens and electrical netting

vka2b

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
A little background here...I had a small flock (4 chickens) that I used to let free-range, but 2 of them got picked off by predators, so now I have created a large run area using electric fencing for the remaining 2. However, I am now running into issues with these remaining 2 chickens. Let me explain.

I had initially bought the 42-inch electrical netting from Premier1. The reason I went with 42 vs 48 is that I didn't think I had the ability to climb over 48 inches, and at the time, I did not realize that they sold a "gate" product that is essentially a non-electrified latched section of the fencing.

Things were fine for a while, but now the 2 chickens fly over the fence every day, multiple times a day. I am very concerned that they are going to get gobbled up by a predator just like those other ones in my flock.

As such, I called Premier1 customer support for advice. The woman I spoke to told me to just get more 42-inch netting and create a larger area. She said that the chickens will feel less claustrophobic and therefore not try to escape. So I bought more, and I now have a very large fenced area. Well, I trialed it today, and they flew over the fence in about 5 minutes.

So, I called Premier1 back, and they told me the only thing left to do is to clip a flight feather on one of the wings of each of them. I knew this was an option, but I was trying to avoid it.

So what I was seeking opinions on are:

1.) Is it worth trying the 48-inch fencing? I kind of don't want to mess with that because I already have to bag up and return the 50 ft of 42-inch fencing I just bought (at my own shipping expense), and I don't want to have to do that again if the 48-inch doesn't work. I also will have wasted money on the existing 42-inch fencing I already have in place, which would be useless now if I replace with the 48. I'm not sure the 48 would work anyway -- I'm pretty sure they clear more than 6 inches when they fly over the 42-inch netting.

2.) Does anybody have any other advice? Does clipping a flight feather seem to be the only option?

I'd appreciate any thoughts...thanks!

I can reduce motivation for clearing fence by making to they have cover patches withing the enclosure. Increasing the area is sound but will not work if area is too resource poor. When the area is very open, the flighty birds I have will clear the 48" fencing as well. If all else fails, then clip the feathers.

Some breeds of chickens are more likely to fly than others. Also, young chickens that haven't reached adult weight tend to fly more.

I use Premier1 48 inch netting. I've had some young chickens fly over. Some of those ended up being the victims of predators. The older girls never even try. I clipped the wings of the young ones that were doing the flying. By the time their new flight feathers came in they'd forgotten that they could fly over the fence.

Thanks to both of you for your very helpful replies. It seems likely that I will have to clip feathers. 2 questions:

1.) I know I could just Google it, but do you have any tried and true resources for how to do this? I've never done it before, so I don't want to mess anything up and hurt the chickens.

2.) I'm just curious -- can you give me examples of breeds that you would consider less flighty than others? I just want to keep that in mind as I add more chickens to my flock!

Thank you again.

1. Best to google it. You will get a picture showing where to cut. Suggested to cut one wing. This will keep them off balance and it will be harder to fly.
2. All are flighty. Young birds more than the older fatter ones. Had a leghorn that went up to the 6 foot fence and was watching me while the dogs were watching her. Clipped wing solved that problem.

Best wishes.

The breeds I've had that were least likely to fly over a fence are Wyandotts, New Hampshires, Jersey Giants, Salmon Faverolles and Buff Orpingtons. They are generally the larger birds. Birds that flew the best were Rhode Island Reds and barnyard mixed breeds.

To clip their wings, hold the bird and fan out the wing. Clip the long flight feathers with a pair of scissors. I have always read that only one wing should be clipped. Tried that with parrots years ago and it never seemed to work well. Tried it with the chickens and also had poor results. I clip both wings now.

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I just clipped the flight feathers of each of their left wings, and if that doesn't work, I will clip the right wings as well. I will let you all know if it works!

Glad you found the courage to clip their wings. It's always difficult to try something for the first time. Now you know that you are not hurting them.

I just wanted to follow-up and declare victory here. It looks like the feather-clipping was successful. Today is the 6th day with no escaping, which is a record. Thank you for all the helpful replies. One follow-up question -- do I need to keep an eye on things and clip these feathers again, or once they are adults, do they not grow back?

Victory!

You will clip flight feathers after every molt. If you copy me and clip them right after a molt, the feathers will keep growing and be marginal. So you may clip and give them a trim a little later if anyone gets lift.

My plan is to make them fat and happy! Half way there.

Back
Top Bottom