Floating duck house a good idea if one has predators?

greybeard

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 22, 2011
I currently have no domesticated fowl at all, but we do have a large farm pond, and I was thinking about gettiing some ducks for it. Problem is so many predators out here in the boonies--all different kinds, but thought if I could anchor a refuge for them to roost in at night they would probably be pretty safe, as we don't see many coyotesm bobcats or cougars in day light hours. Is this even workable?

I'm personally not a huge fan of floating houses. Many ducks prefer to sleep on the pond or come closer to the shore to sleep. This would leave these ducks vulnerable to numerous predators. Also I had to teach my ducks to use their coop. This couldn't be done if the coop was floating in the middle of a lake.

I currently have no domesticated fowl at all, but we do have a large farm pond, and I was thinking about gettiing some ducks for it. Problem is so many predators out here in the boonies--all different kinds, but thought if I could anchor a refuge for them to roost in at night they would probably be pretty safe, as we don't see many coyotesm bobcats or cougars in day light hours. Is this even workable?

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks all. I guess I'll just build one on the shore and let them take their chances with the coyotes, cougars, bobcats, raccons, possm etc on land, or maybe just stick with the cattle. (turtles are not a problem--I keep them cleaned out because they eat too much of my catfish feed)

build one on the shore that you can close up tight at night. start them in there and only feed them in it. It will take them no time to learn where 'home' is. out all day locked up safe and sound at night. its a win win!!!

Back
Top Bottom