Floating Duck House

sanserm

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 15, 2016
Someone dropped off domestic ducks at a lake by our house. We would like to build them a floating duck house, but are worried about predators like coyotes if the lake freezes over. Any suggestions on how we could predator proof the duck house? What there be a certain type of style that would deter them?

Someone dropped off domestic ducks at a lake by our house. We would like to build them a floating duck house, but are worried about predators like coyotes if the lake freezes over. Any suggestions on how we could predator proof the duck house? What there be a certain type of style that would deter them?
Nothing will keep coyotes from domestic ducks most can't fly and they have no protection. If the lake freezes the only thing that will keep the ducks safe from preds of any kind including flying preds is a secure locked house. Can you bring them home? Such a shame when people think they can dump domestic ducks at a lake pond or river and they will make it. It is also a crime too. I hope you'll think about adopting these ducks or try and find a rescue in your area that will take them. In NC we have a couple of water fowl rescues they do an awesome job.

We've been feeding them, but they aren't tame enough to get too close to. We have backyard chickens and they started coming to their coop when we'd feed them. The lake belongs to a farmer that lives right by the lake, we've thought trying to tame them and see about providing an enclosed shelter for them, but we need to discuss with the farmer. It is a real shame someone would drop them off. :( We were hoping we could provide something on the lake that would protect them if they aren't able to be tamed. thank you for your response.

We've been feeding them, but they aren't tame enough to get too close to. We have backyard chickens and they started coming to their coop when we'd feed them. The lake belongs to a farmer that lives right by the lake, we've thought trying to tame them and see about providing an enclosed shelter for them, but we need to discuss with the farmer. It is a real shame someone would drop them off. :( We were hoping we could provide something on the lake that would protect them if they aren't able to be tamed. thank you for your response.
Scratch or whole corn might work. If the Farmer is agreeable You could make a 3 sided fence using plastic poultry fencing or something similar then start putting either corn or scratch inside up against the back of the fence inside a container they can see into, when first training them though make a trail to the container so they know there is something in there tasty. Once you get them use to this and seeing you coming with the snacks then you'll need to figure out a way to close it off once they are all inside that way you can just walk in and pick them up. I did this when someone dumped 3 ducks at our mt river I had a dog X pen and began feeding them at shore then inside the pen till one day they would walk all the way to the back for their food and I ran and closed off the entrance and picked them up put them in a dog crate and brought them home. Took about 2 weeks to win their friendship they were so hungry. I also used same pen to rescue a rooster someone dumped off at our church. If the lake freezes over not only will coyotes be a problem but foxes, bob cats, mink and weasel will walk on ice or swim for a tasty duck meal.

That's a very good idea. thank you. our neighbor really enjoys watching the ducks on the lake. I guess a solution could be a floating house for summer and a house with enclosed fencing for the winter months.

That's a very good idea. thank you. our neighbor really enjoys watching the ducks on the lake. I guess a solution could be a floating house for summer and a house with enclosed fencing for the winter months.
And getting them to use a floating house some have posted they couldn't get their ducks to use it once on the water. If you can maybe let all who feed them know that they need a balanced diet to be able to survive especially in winter months. Corn and scratch is only a treat they need either duck feed or chicken feed to get nutrients they need. Bread is okay as long as no mold and small amounts. Okay some are going to say no bread but I really don't think a small amount of bread will hurt them as long as they have a healthy diet other wise. I use it once in a while as a bribe to get them in when free ranging and at other time not white bread though. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about floating duck houses I'll see if I can find it. If you get them friendly enough a winter shelter would really be a good idea.

A lot of info https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Floating+duck+houses

Last edited:
We've been feeding them cracked corn and our chicken food. They will only eat at our house by our chicken coop. :) Feeling kind of helpless right now, they were looking for shelter from a storm and sat by our chicken pen. There are several areas of tall grass around the lake where the female has laid eggs, they also go under a dock that covers part of the land, but for some reason don't go to these areas during storms. We'll have to look into the floating house and see if we can provide a fenced area/house for winter. Thank you so much for all of the great information!

We've been feeding them cracked corn and our chicken food. They will only eat at our house by our chicken coop. :) Feeling kind of helpless right now, they were looking for shelter from a storm and sat by our chicken pen. There are several areas of tall grass around the lake where the female has laid eggs, they also go under a dock that covers part of the land, but for some reason don't go to these areas during storms. We'll have to look into the floating house and see if we can provide a fenced area/house for winter. Thank you so much for all of the great information!

How many are they? I hope it works out for you all especially the ducks they really need someone to care for them and protect them. Do you know what breeds?

There are 3. I believe the female is a Pekin and the 2 males look like mallards. I'm going to do my best to try and help them survive.

There are 3. I believe the female is a Pekin and the 2 males look like mallards. I'm going to do my best to try and help them survive.
It's wonderful you are there to try.. I just found this on another thread just posted.Maybe some one to talk with about a floating house but this person is in Texas so no ice there.

1 hour, 33 minutes ago
  • ducks4me
  • new_egg.v168221180.png
Enjoying our duck house. We found pictures of a duck house and drew our own plans. The ducks love it!

What's even sadder is unless pinioned the 2 mallards can fly off which will leave the Pekin alone and that would be sad.

Back
Top Bottom