Floating eggs

pellyRdGirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
So, I have a relative small flock of layers. Everyday I collect, place them in a metal bowl that is kept in a cool dark area. They never sit for more than a week before they get processed (washed, dried, packed, put in fridge) lately I've gotten a few floaters, I mean they bob right up to the surface. So I decided to break them open and they don't smell or anything. Nice color, nothing unusual. Never had this happen before and I've been doing my eggs this way for years. Any comments?

I have had my hens for less than two weeks. I noticed that I had a floater. I was concerned since I had heard that bad eggs float. I new it couldn't be bad since it had just been laid that morning. It looked fine when I cracked it open, and it tasted just fine, too. I am curious as to why it would float. Or is the whole "bad eggs float" thing just an old wives tale?

They float because the air cell which is small in a fresh egg slowly dehydrates causing the air cell to get bigger and take up more of the egg, making it more buoyant, if they are fresh eggs than they are being layed like that, probably something that is normal for that particular hen.

Just because it floats doesn't mean it's 'bad' or rotten...it just means it's dehydrated enough to float.
What 'age of egg' this happens to varies depending on several factors.

I keep my gathered eggs in an open carton (use the lid too) in the order they are gathered.....then when enough to fill a carton for sale, I carton them up and store those in order of age also.

I don't like the bowl idea because you can end up with much older eggs mixed in with fresher ones.
One of my customers does this, drives me nuts......
.......but at that point they are her eggs and she can do what ever she wants with them.

These days with older birds slowing down for molt and the pullets just getting into the groove, they are all sold as soon as I have a carton full. But when I have a glut of eggs, I may wash and store in fridge or scramble and freeze for my own use during lean times.

Thanks everyone for your input, it confirms my thoughts. The masses rule! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom