1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Floating Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Keisha, May 8, 2008.

1. Keisha

Keisha Songster

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Was talking to the ag teacher and he mentioned something about if you candle a egg and see a chick in it and its overdue to hatch, to see whether its live or not you can put it in a bucket of cold water, and if it kicks, put it back in the bator, and if it doesnt toss it. Anyone know anythign about this?

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Songster

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I actually have only done this with goose eggs. I used a warm bowl of water. After you slowly lower the egg into the water wait for it to stop rocking. Then watch it for a minute or so. If the chick is alive and awake it will rock back and forth a little from the baby moving in the egg. The reason I say if it is awake is that when I floated 8 goose eggs I only had 5 rock for me. The other 3 didnt move at all. I placed them back into the bator and a couple days later 6 of the 8 hatched. I suppose the cold water is meant to get a reaction but I would be worried about to cold of water and cooling the egg. Jenn

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If you candle a viable egg you will see the chick moving around. I wouldn't suggest submerging and egg in water because they are pourous and I would imagine it could drown the chick. I'm sure someone with more knowledge in this area will chime in though.

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Songster

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    If I candled on day 18 and all looked ok when I CLOSED the incubator it would STAY CLOSED, until the chicks or unhatched eggs were ready to come out.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: