Floating yolk

Ponypoor

Professional Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
May 23, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
Free floating yolk

I have put some eggs under a broody hen on Saturday; I did a quick candling tonight (day 3) to see if I could see anything. Two I can clearly see development (embryo and veins), but one in particular seems to have a freely floating yolk, it’s a tan coloured egg so difficult to see anything clearly other than the yolk moving around as I was moving the egg to candle.

Question: is this free moving yolk a deal breaker? Or should I give it a couple days to see if anything develops? I can’t find any info of this on BYC.

Free floating yolk

I have put some eggs under a broody hen on Saturday; I did a quick candling tonight (day 3) to see if I could see anything. Two I can clearly see development (embryo and veins), but one in particular seems to have a freely floating yolk, it’s a tan coloured egg so difficult to see anything clearly other than the yolk moving around as I was moving the egg to candle.

Question: is this free moving yolk a deal breaker? Or should I give it a couple days to see if anything develops? I can’t find any info of this on BYC.
My guess is, it was a quitter from the start. I would not toss it because I'm never positive. I just mark ones like that with a question mark with a pencil or marker and leave it in there until the next candling you do in a few days.

Once I hatched a question-marked egg. I wish I'd been there when they hatched so I'd have known which chick it was. I'd have named it Question Mark. 😊

My guess is, it was a quitter from the start. I would not toss it because I'm never positive. I just mark ones like that with a question mark with a pencil or marker and leave it in there until the next candling you do in a few days.

Once I hatched a question-marked egg. I wish I'd been there when they hatched so I'd have known which chick it was. I'd have named it Question Mark. 😊
My plan is to once again candle them Friday night. I another quick check this morning, my broody is sitting on 6 eggs, I know each of the egg mamas so I am hopeful that egg hatches a nice pullet. Meanwhile two of my silkie eggs are growing a chicklet each like demons!

I have 3 other eggs from another silkie hen which I was hoping to hatch out. Oh well if not maybe next year.

Rechecked again last night at day 6, and looks like the only eggs developing are two silkie eggs. The other are not showing signs of development. I will recheck them all again tomorrow afternoon and make a decision for n which eggs to toss - but looks like that floating yolk egg is a dud - oh well.

Back
Top Bottom