Flock addition, Dominique . . . ?

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
Newbie question;
I think, after all of my research, I would like to add 4 Dominique hens to my flock this spring. I did a search of BYC and didn't really come up with a lot of info although I see many people have them. Would someone (or 2 or3) with experience with the breed give me the scoop and personal opinions. My local breeder keeps telling me to just go with Barred rock but I like the heritage aspect of Dominiques (plus just a little stubborn) Is there really not much difference? The rest of My flock will consist of 4 Austrolorps, 4 Americaunas, and 4 Wellsummers. I might want to try the Favorells next year. Advice is surely appreciated.

Anyone? I see that so many have them in their lineups but rarely hear talk of them like of the others. Am I being to stubborn? Should I skip them and try something more popular? Advice please.

I have had a few differnet type of heavy breeds opringtons, wyndottes, leghorn, rir's, ee's, dominique's. Other than the rir's the dominique's were my favorite. I have never had barred rocks myself, but I have been around them a lot.

The barred rocks are good chickens for egg laying and meat. But I don't really like them. I don't care for the barred feather pattern and there temperament. They may have a better temperament if they are from a breeder though. I like the dominique feather pattern better and there temperament. But that's just my opinion, a lot of people like barred rocks.

IMGP2026.jpg

Picture069.jpg

My grandmoter kept Dominiques. She had a lot of friendly hens ! And they laid the prettiest brown eggs. She would let them out in the evenings to roam. I can remember sitting in the back yard with Grandma watching them run around and do their thing. Then Grandma would take a can of cracked corn and walk into the chicken yard, call her hens and they would come running from all over to get the corn.

I live in Minnesota and I have a hatchery Barred Rock I got for free as a "stewing hen". I ended up keeping her. She has a fun, inquisitive personality and lays very well for a 3-year-old.

The tips of her comb did get a little frost bit during the recent cold snap (-20F), so that's one downside. A rose comb bird like the Dominique wouldn't be prone to that. On the other hand, I have heard that the Dominiques are less calm. But I'm sure it depends on the strain.

For me, it would come down to what was available locally. If there was a good local breeder of BR's, I would choose them over sending away for some sight-unseen Dominiques. Having an established local breeder is part of the "heritage" of your area. Getting a bird from them is way cooler than getting some "heritage bird" shipped in from 5 states away.

Then again, I do understand getting your heart set on something. If it's Dominiques you *really really* want, go for it! The nice thing about chickens is they are inexpensive. And if you don't like them they are easy to get rid of: Craigslist or "Into the pot!"

thanks, that was what I wanted to hear. I want the "grandma" chicken. I know the "breeder" I'm buying from gets her chicks mail order from some hatchery out of state, so i don't think I'm any worse off ordering my own, just will have to raise them in the baby stage which she does with the others.
I can see that "hatchery" birds are probably not the choice for experts and experience, but this is my first try at this and if they are nice with colors that appeal to me I think I will be happy for now. thanks again for the input!

Back
Top Bottom