Flock attacking new chick

kadani

Chirping
Jun 2, 2019
Shippensburg PA
Hello,

I have a Chocolate Orpington rooster (Rudy), a Buff Orpington hen (Molly), and two Ameraucana hens, (Beth and Bonnie). They are 1 year, 4 months old. Molly got mites so we took her to the vet for antibiotics and then quarantined her at my daughter's house. We treated the other chickens and coop so I think the mite problem is gone now. When Molly went to my daughter's house, she had been sitting on eggs. We took the eggs with her. One of them hatched at the end of April. Yesterday my daughter brought Molly and the baby, Peepers, back to me. Peepers is around 5 weeks old. Yesterday Rudy, Bonnie, and Beth seemed to be getting along fine free-ranging with Molly and Peepers. Last night I put Molly and Peepers into their crate inside the coup enclosure, and the others roosted as usual in the upper part of the coop. But today I noticed that Molly and Peepers were not hanging out with the others. Molly came to my door alone, so I went out to see where Peepers was. She was hiding under a hosta. I realized Rudy, Beth, and Bonnie had started chasing and pecking at Peepers. I chased them off and finally managed to get Molly and Peepers into the coup enclosure and shut the door, so they are safe. Tonight I will put Molly and Peepers back in their crate before I let the other chickens in to roost. But what can I do to keep them from fighting and make it possible for them to free-range all together as a flock?

Welcome to BYC - sorry for the problem. It may be necessary to remove the chick until it is larger. Big birds pick on smaller and new birds. Integration takes time and is facilitated by hiding places and multiple feed and water stations.

Welcome to BYC - sorry for the problem. It may be necessary to remove the chick until it is larger. Big birds pick on smaller and new birds. Integration takes time and is facilitated by hiding places and multiple feed and water stations.
Thanks. I will try to keep them separated. I don't want to take away the peep from her mother, though. They are very attached.

Back
Top Bottom