Flock behavior in ducks

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
Anyone an expert?

Now that my little flock is coming together and used to their surroundings I am noticing more and more. Of course, I want to know what it all means
big_smile.png

The head bobbing. What's that about anyhow?

Also, when they lower their heads and scrunch up their necks and run about. I have seen them do that to each as well as at the cat.

Do they have a pecking order like chickens? (If so, looks like poor Chrissy is at the bottom.)

Do they tend to squat more when it gets close to laying time? (Saw Lana kind of flatten herself out in front of Jack today)

How territorial do they get? So far I have seen them chase starlings out of THEIR yard and they trapped the cat under the wheel borrow this morning
big_smile.png

So experts...fill in this newbie with your duckie wisdom
big_smile.png

I watch my ducks every chance I get!
pop.gif

Head bobbing I think is an invitation to the "dance".
I've mostly seen that head scrunching while running thing from my Khaki hen, she did it a whole lot when she was first introduced to her new flock, especially to the males. I thought it may be a way of saying, "I'm no pushover!"
They certainly do have a pecking order, the ones at the top and at the bottom are most obvious in my flock. Little unsure what the order in the middle is.
Squatting in front of male is like a engraved invitation to the dance!
When mine were younger they were a lot more territorial. They have really mellowed toward my cats and the squirrels.

Thanks for the observations
big_smile.png

I saw a new behavior today to add to the mix...one duck laying their neck across the other. Seemed more of a dominance thing... Lana (the Buff) did it to Chrissy (the runner).

My ducks definitely have a pecking order. Also, I mixed two groups when they were grown already and there is an obvious preference for who they want to hang out with. The one at the bottom of the pecking order got beat up so much that she went to live with the chickens in the coop.

Ok...the latest...

Jack tried to have his way with Janet in their kiddie pool and fell off.
gig.gif

Janet mounted Lana for a few seconds. Probably part of the pecking order thing. Looks like Janet is the boss of the girls now...LOL

There is a second scrunched neck behavior. Instead of holding the beak near the ground, it is off to one side. Not sure what this means yet.

Today I saw the buff drake mount the buff hen only to be thrown off by the black drake who in turn was hassled the whole time he tried to do his thing.

Later I saw my EE roo chasing down and mounting the black drake.
hu.gif

Jack has now turned his attention to Lana as well as Janet. He is a busy boy!!! Now I know why people recommend people get at least 2 girls for a drake...LOL Had his way with both girls within 5 minutes and then took a nap with his head tucked under his wing. Typical male
gig.gif

Poor Chrissy wants some ducky lovin' too, but Jack just chases her off. He likes the smart girls better.

Back
Top Bottom