Flock blocks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ddmiddle7, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
  2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  3. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Thanks, I will check that out when I get a few days to read it...lol I will skim through it for some recipes.

4. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    I bought one from TSC - and my girls love it. I'll definitely go back for another one.

5. Wimberleytexaschick

Wimberleytexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Wimberley, Texas
    I bought a flock block from TSC a few weeks ago and put it in a large run (25'x50') that is getting low on grass with 19- 2 month old Brahmas. They have been slowly enjoying it. I can tell they are pecking at it, but not constantly. I would definitely buy another, or maybe try to make one next time. I keep it in a square plastic supplement block holder (from our horses) so that there is no ground waste or sitting in dirt- a large plastic lid or something of the sort would work the same.

6. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Mine didn't go nuts over it, but did eventually finish it. Mine love scratch a lot more or table scraps. I got them to start pecking at it by breaking it into about 4 pieces. I'm not sure if the outside is so tough, and my chickens are so lazy, that they just didn't want to bother, or if the smell was more pungent once broken up...

7. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I buy them for my hens every now and then. The hens seem to really like them and gobble them up. I stopped buying the blocks though when we had the rain, because they melted into the mud. [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I bought one from my favorite feed store, just to try it on my flock. They liked it a lot, and there seems to be less picking on the smaller chickens (bantams and broody-raised chicks). So I'll buy 'em again, every once in a while.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think quite a few folks use them in the winter time to help deter boredom. Keep in mind though that they're only like 9 or 10% protein, so you wouldn't want them to only/mostly eat those since it's a treat.

10. whitehousechix

whitehousechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    I just keep one in the coop for them, they seem to work on it every once in a while,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by