Flock bullying

rachelkitts28

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2016
What do you do when you think one is being picked on or bullied by the others? One of my girls started out with what looked like a few little scabs on her face. Now one eye is swollen and possibly has what may be puss around the eye. What should I do to remedy this? Should the one be separated until she heals and then put her back? Should she be medicated or heal on her own? This is our first flock, and 12 hens in this coop. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Picture attached is of her eye, it's not the best, and I hope it uploaded. Please let me know if it didn't and I can try it again.

I had this problem with my chickens also,
I talked to my ag teacher and he told me that if you throw some grit (Oyster Shell) or even a coke can they should peck at that. I am not totally sure how it works but I know it helped in my flock!

Seperate the wounded bird from the others. Ideally where the birds can see each other but not touch. Definitely put some medicated cream on the wounded bird and do not reintroduce the wounded bird until healed (chickens will peck at any red spot they see)
I agree that your birds could be bored. Things for them to "play" with could help. Grit would be great. The one I like is a childs plastic mirror (the type that do not break) my birds love admiring their own plumage when I have them locked up over winter.

Is the other side like this too?
Is there an eyeball still in there?

This to me looks like a sinus/respiratory infection.
Needs antibiotics...and bird still may carry disease even if it clears up.

The eyeball is still there.the other side is perfectly fine. It started out like a couple scabs on her comb. I thought it was because we put new nesting boxes in, as opposed to the temporary ones we had that they wouldn't use. So I thought maybe she had scrapped it or something. But when I found her like this, I noticed a couple others try to peck at her as she just ducked and tried to move away.

The eyeball is still there.the other side is perfectly fine. It started out like a couple scabs on her comb. I thought it was because we put new nesting boxes in, as opposed to the temporary ones we had that they wouldn't use. So I thought maybe she had scrapped it or something. But when I found her like this, I noticed a couple others try to peck at her as she just ducked and tried to move away.

The birds will peck at any wound, any redness. It could have begun as an infection and the birds made it worse by pecking at her.

The birds will peck at any wound, any redness. It could have begun as an infection and the birds made it worse by pecking at her.

Well we got a medium sized dog crate and separated her from the flock within the coop. But now it's went from when you see in the picture, to her eye completely shut, I can't even tell if she still has an eyeball. I feel so incredibly bad. I'm going to pick up some Vetericyn and see if it will help. Not sure what else I can do beyond that. Just going to hope a bit of time separated she can heal and go back to normal.

Yes she need some antibiotic cream, and consider some oral antibiotic too.

So I think the separation helped. Her eye was open and there was an eyeball still. Thank goodness! I used a cotton ball to apply the Vetericyn. I still am keeping her separated and hoping she makes a full recovery. If I were to try a topical antibiotic cream, which do I use? Just a triple antibiotic cream? Or is there a specific animal/chicken friendly cream?

Back
Top Bottom