Flock integration Advise Needed!

Jarc

In the Brooder
May 27, 2020
Singapore
Ok here's the background. We started with 2 hens, a polish and a standard silkie, they are good friends and now about 9months old.

Our polish became broody and now has 4 chicks under her wing. They hatched 3 days ago. They are currently in a double nestbox in the main coop.

Before she went broody, we incubated some of the polish eggs and kept 2 of the pullets which are 2.5mths old now. About 2 weeks ago, they automatically went into the coop with our silkie and the 3 get along fine. The broody has no knowledge that 2 new residents have moved in.

Our broody polish is now coming out of the nestbox and chases the 2.5mth old pullets around. I'm assuming to protect her baby chicks? She's fine with our silkie which she's bonded with previously.

Should I leave things be and let them sort it out among themselves? Or separate, if so which ones do I separate?

Last edited:
If she is just chasing them around, pecking at them to “put them in their place” it’s completely normal. The only time I would intervene is if you notice her chasing someone down, pinning them and pulling feathers. But it sounds like she’s just chasing the kids away from the adults table; nothing to worry about.

The 2.5mth olds are too quick for her to catch but she's super fierce to them. Chasing them if they are in her line of sight. She stops once they hide behind an obstacle. Maybe because of her new chicks? She's usually not too aggressive.

The extra aggression is more than likely because of her chicks. As long as you have enough room and the 2.5month olds have plenty of escape routes and like you said “obstacles” they should be fine. She will lighten up in a few weeks once she starts to wean those babies off of her.

The extra aggression is more than likely because of her chicks. As long as you have enough room and the 2.5month olds have plenty of escape routes and like you said “obstacles” they should be fine. She will lighten up in a few weeks once she starts to wean those babies off of her.
Yes....Broody Fierce!
Might slow/stop even before she weans the chicks.

Thanks for your replies!! I was concerned that the timing was really bad or that it was causing mother hen stress. Am relieved to hear its ok to leave them together and that she will mellow in a bit :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom