Flock integration with cx's

OHSpartan

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Ohio
Funny story......I rehomed my egg laying chick from the brooder to the coop. They aren't big enough to hang with the hens and guinea without getting pecked so I put them in with my near-harvest Cornish crosses. I figured the coop was big enough and the meaties are just lazy oafs anyway.

Well...one cockerel meatie did take kindly to strangers. He ruffled his neck, stood proud and pecked at one of the hyper active andalusians. He even gave chase, moving one leg then the other in a slow motion waddle-run that only an 8-lb meatie can. He managed to chase the chicks about 15 feet before deciding he was tired. He laid down and was still napping there an hour later.

A really small New Hampshire chick climbed up on one of the meat bird's back and perched there. The cx just let her perch for probably 10-15 minutes before he had to amble over to the trough. The pullet seemed shocked and confusednthat her newfound napping perch was so unstable.

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
yuckyuck.gif

ebe8528

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
We saw that you got a border collie/lab mix about a year ago. We want to know where you got this particular hybrid - we have one now and are fascinated. Had a terrible time finding this specific dog mix. We can be contacted at [email protected]. we are moving to a house this year where we'll be able to have backyard chickens, and want our border collie/lab mix to "herd" the chickens, or at least tolerate them. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

OHSpartan

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Ohio
We got this mix from a backyard accident. The owners border collie went into heat and met up with neighbors black lab. We introduced her to chickens early and she does very well with them. Her job is to protect them during the day. We have lost many free range birds to foxes and hawks this year. But we have not lost any when she is down at the coop. My birds go to bed early so she comes up to the house with the family in the evening.

In general my dog is more hunter than herder, but her prey drive is always muted with the chickens. My son showed her at fair this year and included a picture of a chicken perched on her back.

All in all I am pleased with how it has turned out, but am not sure this is the best poultry breed. She had to be trained not to chase the chickens (high energy herding, right). Though she shows signs of prey drive with other animals (fox, duck calls, low-flying geese) she has never tried to capture a bird. I am debating whether to teach her to retrieve game; I'm afraid when will retrieve chickens.

Interesting, The hawks screech and squawk from the air when she's down there but have never tried to dive on the birds. Before dog at coop: 15 losses. After: 0.

Gd luck with your dog selection, post here how it goes.

OHSpartan

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Ohio
Ps...even though we introduced her to chickens and guinea at the same time she never fully resisted her prey drive with the guinea. For some reason we couldn't stop her from chasing them. Never chase chickens, just guinea. Once we harvested the guinea, never chased another bird.

Top Bottom