Flock is constantly head shaking and tiny bugs all over coop

bumblerumble20

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Hi there, I have 7 blue fauvanacas that are 2.5yrs old. They are constantly shaking their heads for the past couple of weeks. They have no other symptoms. I have found these tiny light gray bugs all throughout their coop but have not found any on the hens in the day or at night while they are roosting.
I think I have mite problem and read through all the old posts and just wanted to get an experienced person to give me firm advice on the best treatment option. Please help! My girls seem uncomfortable and the head shaking is driving me (and I’m sure them) BONKERS!!

yes it's mites. They live in the crevices in the coop and feed on the birds in the night. You need to clean your coop as thoroughly as you can, and treat with one of the proprietary treatments for mite infestation. Follow the instructions on the product you choose.
Good luck!

Hi there, I have 7 blue fauvanacas that are 2.5yrs old. They are constantly shaking their heads for the past couple of weeks. They have no other symptoms. I have found these tiny light gray bugs all throughout their coop but have not found any on the hens in the day or at night while they are roosting.
I think I have mite problem and read through all the old posts and just wanted to get an experienced person to give me firm advice on the best treatment option. Please help! My girls seem uncomfortable and the head shaking is driving me (and I’m sure them) BONKERS!!
I found cleaning the coop with salt and vinegar water helped then dusting with benonite clay before adding wood shavings and hay. . I also rub clay into my chicken's.

Definitely mites!

Thanks All! You are a wealth of info! So I dusted each hen and cleaned and dusted the coop and run avoiding egg boxes, food and water with poultry dust. The directions don’t say how often to dust. Any thoughts? I read on a previous thread one a week dusting for 3 weeks but wanted to verify.

Also, will poultry dust take care of any mite or flea or is there a better product please?
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom