Flock keeps wandering

jbokhart

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
We just moved and have started free ranging our flock of 4 hens and 1 rooster. They are about 100-150 yards away from the house and for the first week they stayed near the back of our property. This week however twice I have found them closer and right next to the house. Is there any way to encourage them to stay closer to their hutch? They have plenty of area even further back from their coop that they can wander in. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

The best way to encourage them to stay closer to their area is to always give them treats there. Chickens are all about food, and they always remember where they get the delicious food......Mine do come around the house every now and then, but mostly they are in the back.

I never NEVER give my chickens any treats near the house. They will remember if you do, and come looking in the windows for you!
lol.png

The best way to encourage them to stay closer to their area is to always give them treats there. Chickens are all about food, and they always remember where they get the delicious food......Mine do come around the house every now and then, but mostly they are in the back.

I never NEVER give my chickens any treats near the house. They will remember if you do, and come looking in the windows for you!
lol.png
You are so right about giving the birds treats near the house. They WILL come looking for you. Too late for me now, but I don't really mind it.
Jack

They like coming around the house because it is interesting. There is often soft dirt around the foundation and other nifty things that interest them.

As they get bolder, a different issue becomes how FAR away they also can wander. Some get the wanderlust and can range up to 1/4 mile away.

There is plenty of shade though has not been a sunny day since we moved here. Everything is muddy and wet and cold right now!! Winter has been nothing but rainy and hardly any snow so far here

Oh, my goodness, mine know The Treat Lady lives in the House From Which All Nummy Thing Come!

If I leave the door open occasionally (renovations, the contractor goes in and out, etc.) and fine chickens in the house. Just lookin' around. One of miy girls laid her egg on the base of the cat tree, twice!

I agree wholeheartedly , never feed them "at" the house . I now have chicken poop all over my deck because thats where the food has been thrown from.They come up to the sliding glass door everyday,and god forbid I should forget the afternoon feeding ,lol

Back
Top Bottom