Flock Management Question

chiknchik

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Hi, I am new to the site. I live in NE Ohio and on June 13 became a mom to 5 chicks for the first time. I have wanted chickens my entire life and I have finally done it! My girls are all different breeds ; Speckled Sussex, Black Australorp, Dominique, Buff Orpington and Welsummer. I would like to add a few more birds this spring. Our coop will accomodate 12 birds but I will keep it under that number. A friend of a friend told me that it is best to get even numbers of chickens because they pair up in a buddy system and when there is an odd number someone will get left out and picked on. Has anyone ever heard of this being true? I would like to know before I order more chicks. Thank you very much.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't think even numbers matter. In every flock there is going to be a top bird and the lowest ranking bird. You end up feeling bad for the lone bird, but it seems to bother us humans alot more than it does the chicken.

I have never heard of even or odd number birds. Based on my own experience, that may be a myth.

What you will encounter is intergration problem. There have been many discussions on this topic.

My suggestion would be that if you are satified with the production and/or enjoyment from the 5, then remain status quo. If you must add more, be prepared.

Thanks - I appreciate the quick answers. I wasn't sure what to think of that one. I see that one of the girls - the same one - seems to be alone alot. When I asked a friend about it, that was the response I got. I was also wondering - the girls sure enjoy roaming the yard much more than being inside their fenced area. When they free range, I assume that they lay their eggs in a convenient spot rather than returning to the coop to use a nest box. Am I correct in thinking this, or do some actually "come home" to lay???

Thanks again

You might get both kinds of layers
wink.png
Some of mine started off laying in the yard....but now they lay in the nests. I left them in the coop for a longer period of time in the mornings so they got the idea. Now they are let out to free range in the morning and go back to the coop to lay. I have one that lays late....early afternoon. If you can get them in the habit of laying in the nests you should be OK. One of my EE's will lay a couple times a week on the floor instead of the nest...but I'm ok with that!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

From one Ohioan to another. I am in North Central Ohio (I think) In West Salem. Did you get your biddies from Meyer hatchery?

Yes, I did. I was very satisfied with them. I had an excellent order-taker named Barb that answered all of my questions and went above and beyond to help me with my order. I had a chance to visit the store in October and found it to be quite the operation - very clean and organized. I have another order placed for some more chicks to arrive in March. My first girls arrived healthy and all lived and are now happy and spoiled.

Quote:
Hi chiknchik, Welcome to the forum.

I used to be concerned that mine would 'hide' their eggs when out free ranging, but they are usually very good about wanting to lay in the nesting area. It does make life easier...

In addition, I have heard that it is easier to add not just one new hen to the group. Perhaps part of it is that the old hens may divide their suspicion between more than one new arrival and not all gang up on just one outsider... Chicken dynamics are very interesting to say the least. Actually I think that if you have the capacity and want more chickens adding some at yearly-intervals... which is approximately what you are doing may be a good idea. That way if any of the older ones phase out, you have their replacements already there. It doesn't leave you with a gap in getting eggs if that is one of the reasons that you are keeping chickens.

Back
Top Bottom