Flock Management questions

Woodsman Rick

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 12, 2017
When we purchased our farm there were existing chickens, all about 10 years old at the time. We've let them live out their lives and lost our last of the old hens yesterday at the age of about 15 years of age. During the time we've had the hens we adopted one hen that was left when a neighbor was evicted and she was left in the winter. She is a Buff Orpington and is about 2 ½ - 3 years old now and is now alone. She is pretty free range and easily flys over the fence and goes where she wants to go, which has always been fine with us. We have also let her and the now retired hens out of the fenced area during the day.

We have two coops and one large shared yard between them. I understand there should be a quarantine period. How much distance is recommended if I were to add a couple fences to temporarily divide the yard? And what if we have a flyer that is quite independent? I'm not sure she would obey the fencing/quarantine rules and don't want to clip wings or stress her as she is a nice mellow hen.

Is it best to find a couple of hens about the same age and breed or should we go for younger birds or chicks. My thought was to avoid chicks to insure we have hens only.

I am very interested in hearing your thoughts and great advice!

You could get chicks if you can keep them separated but within view (once they were old enough to go outside) until they were of a similar size to your established girl, but that would take longer.

I think quarantine for older birds is recommended to be about a month. Is one of your coops big enough that you could just shut the new birds in one coop for that time rather than worry about setting up temporary fencing? It's only for a month so they would be fine, and then you don't have to worry about your current girl inviting herself over.

As long as there is plenty of space and there are a few new birds (so one cannot be picked on by your older girl) I don't see you'll have any problems.

I would not go with 3 year old hens and they are mostly moving into the freeloader group. I'd only add 1 year and under. If potential roosters are your main concern, check on CL and see if anyone has started pullets. Also visit your state thread and test the water. Might find someone moving who needs to re-home their flock. You should be able to tell 100% by 12 weeks without a ton of experience. Expect to pay $15-25 depending upon breed. Only about $5 more than what it would cost you to raise them to that point. If you go the sexed pullet chick route, you have a 90% guarantee but in my experience, I have been closer to 98%. 98 pullets and 2 cockerels. Unfortunately with chicks, you won't see eggs before Halloween.

I understand there should be a quarantine period.
Understand what quarantine really is:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

And what if we have a flyer that is quite independent?
You'd need a roof, mesh or solid, on the run.

Is it best to find a couple of hens about the same age and breed or should we go for younger birds or chicks. My thought was to avoid chicks to insure we have hens only.
What is your goal for having chickens?
Eggs, meat, yard ornaments?

Thank you all for the information and your time!

We have decided to go with pullets. Welsummers. They are in a separate building away from the chicken yard and we will take care when introducing them to our existing hen.

I'm pretty sure I was incorrect in thinking our existing hen was a Buff Orpington. She is too small and the comb does not fir. The pea comb is more like an Easter Egger, or maybe an Ester Egger Buff Orpington Bantam mix? Just don't know.

We have our chickens for the eggs, although we have enjoyed having them running around the yard free range.

I will read up more as far as properly introducing them down the road some.

Thanks again!

Here is an image of our Buff Hen. Any ideas as to what you think she might be?

Attachments

• IMG_5958.JPG
    IMG_5958.JPG
    977.5 KB · Views: 1
Definitely an EE between the comb and shank color. No eggs? That should of been a dead giveaway but even they can unfortunately lay brown eggs. Her momma could easily of been a BO. Welsummer is a nice chicken. Hopefully you will have a speckled egg layer. Those are fun.

Back
Top Bottom