Flock of 15 all losing weight!! Lost one already. Help!!

DooryardChickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
New Hampshire
Two days ago I lost my young hen. She only showed signs of sickness the day before she died. I picked her up and noticed how incredibly thin she had gotten. (In less than 24 hours of this, she died). I'm really worried about the rest of my flock now. (All pets) I have one roo, 2 RIR, 5 EE, 3 mix pullets (raised by the hen that just passed) and 4 bantam pullets. All are supposed to be under 3 years (that's what I was told when I acquired them in the spring).
Their behavior is more quiet than usual. They will come running, however, if I bring treats. I feed them layer pellets and layer mash (is mash the same as crumbles?). They free range for several hours a day. All seem to be drinking like usual. I can't pinpoint any particular bird with abnormal poop but I've seen a couple really black ones in their run and yesterday morning there was a large semi-solid poop with a bit of red in it. I haven't fed them anything red in the last week.
Yesterday I started them with the Epsom Salts in their water and put out a large bowl of plain oatmeal (they loved it). Also picked up plain yogurt last night.
Only one that I know of is going through moult.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I love my birds and am scared to lose them all!!

They might have cocci, a parasite infection. Black droppings may be blood. I gave mine a cordistat in the water from the farm store. The dosing is hard to figure like 1/4 or 1/8 tsp per quart but don't recall. Anyway its a sulpha and I use it for a week in the water supply. I caught mine early and cleared them right up. With drastic weight loss you may also have a worm problem. I give mine a wormer twice a year as maintenence. Good luck

They might have cocci, a parasite infection. Black droppings may be blood. I gave mine a cordistat in the water from the farm store. The dosing is hard to figure like 1/4 or 1/8 tsp per quart but don't recall. Anyway its a sulpha and I use it for a week in the water supply. I caught mine early and cleared them right up. With drastic weight loss you may also have a worm problem. I give mine a wormer twice a year as maintenence. Good luck

Yes, I'd try one of the meds for Coccidiosis, like George said, it is worth a try, especially where they are eating and acting ok. Have you dewormed them recently, it could be worms. I've been trying to get to the bottom of my roo's illness when I gave him Sulmet, and last ditch effort (off lable use, ask others dosages for you situation) I gave him a 1/2 pearl of Ivermectin, he had normal stool yesterday, only one siezure type fit (that is the difference here) and this morning he crowed at 6 am, and that says "YOUR OUT!" LOL, he is in the hen house in a separate pen.
Good luck to you and btw, yes, adult birds can have cocci.

I think Big George and spook have defined what is happening- you must treat NOW, it's possible to lose an entire flock. The very best of luck to you. If your birds are easy to handle, it always pays to pick a few up...daily

Last edited:
Corid or Amprol is the best med to start with and you need it ASAP. It does sound like a bad case of cocci, however, it could also be worms. I'd do Corid, which is concentrated Amprolium and not an antibiotic and is easier on their systems than Sulmet is. Provide some yogurt for probiotics while on that to soothe their intestines and provide beneficial bacteria.

Corid Liquid 9.6%:
As a treatment. 1/2 oz. Per gallon of watter for 3 to 7 days.
As a preventive. 1/8 oz. To 2 gallons of water for 3 days.

(( Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar wile birds are on and I would say for a day before and after ))

It will turn gummy and like a glob glue...

Chris

Thanks a bunch everyone for helping me and my babies through this. I also just gave them the crumble, milk & yogurt mixture. They went at it a bit, but then the dang wind blew the coop door open so they ran full speed into our yard. But glad to see them enthusiastic. Hopefully I caught this in time. Still, their only water source is in the coop so they will get their Corid.

While at the farm store I also picked up Sulmet, a pkg of Vitamins & Electrolytes Powder Concentrate by "Durvet", and a bottle of "VetRx" which says "effective relief and prevention of colds, roup, scaly legs & eye worm" (anyone ever used these second two?). I picked these things up to have on hand.

Thanks again. I'll be keeping a close eye on my babies & of course giving them lots of good food. Pasta and oatmeal being their faves!!

Back
Top Bottom