Flock of chickens died

Our chickens have not been exposed to other chickens or even birds. They are contained in a large coop and run.

How is the flu transferred?
The three most common ways it is transferred is through direct contact with wild birds, contact with feces from wild birds, and on a care-taker's shoes and clothing. It can also be spread through mammals that are carrying the virus particles. I'm currently running a research trial with laying hens, and it is such a huge concern for my work that when I enter the house I step into a dry bleach footbath, then change shoes, put on coveralls, and spray myself down with Lysol. Commercial flocks are even more strict as most have shower-in-shower-out facilities with clothing that is only ever worn in the barn, and unfortunately they still have had issues with their birds catching it. It's that contagious. Think of how easily Covid was spread in the first few months we were dealing with it; this is basically the bird equivalent.

We had a mixed breed of chickens, all around a 1 year old. We went out of town for a few days, left plenty of feed and water. We came home 3 days later to 5 dead chickens and the rooster in the process of dying. There were no marks,injury or signs of anything that would cause death. We have since lost 5 more and have 3 left.
Any ideas on a possible cause?

Our chickens have not been exposed to other chickens or even birds. They are contained in a large coop and run.

How is the flu transferred?
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of your coop/run?
They had access to both areas while you were away, correct?

Think, did you add any new feed, bedding, use any cleaning products, medicines, etc. before you left?
Any moldy feed in the feeders?
Any heaters or heat lamps in the coop?

You have lost 5 since you got home - any symptoms whatsoever?

I agree, sending a body to your state lab is the best way to get answers.

Back
Top Bottom