1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

flock patrol

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamarosa, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mamarosa

mamarosa In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    I have 23, 2 year old hens, and one rooster. My question is about how long do I keep the
    flock together? will they continue to lay eggs or do I need to make soup out of some and get
    some new ones? This is my first time having chickens...so far the best "pet" I have ever
    had...they have been a joy and bless me each day with eggs...
    any info would be appreciated.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chickens will lay eggs as long as they live, generally, just slow down and lay less frequently.

If they give you so much pleasure, why make soup of any? (That's just my gentle heart speaking - I know I'm going to be running a Home for Elderly Hens someday, myself.)

Many folks add new stock to the flock at the 2 year mark. Me, I haven't even had mine a full year yet, and I've already swollen the flock to 25. Only 12 are of laying age!

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    NOT THE POT!!!! I can shoot just about any game animal pop a Snapping Turtle for soup. But I can't kill one of my Chickens! I can Barbaque one of my neigbors butchered birds while mine are under foot, but not mine. When they slow down I give them away. Oh yeah, I don't make Snapper soup anymore, just can't kill those old boys, I'm getting soft in my later years. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: