Flock raiser… causing maggots?!

TwistedTayy

Songster
Apr 30, 2021
Douglasville, GA
So I have 4 jumbo pekins (4 weeks) that are outside full time and 2 goslings 3 weeks) and 15 WH (1.5 weeks) still inside. They have all been getting purina flock raiser from the same bag and it is dry and perfect with no problems.. for the inside peeps. Everyone gets a mix of flock raiser, nutritional yeast and grit (with additional free choice grit), the pekins are starting to get purina duck feed mixed in too (1c duck feed : 4c flock raiser mix).

last week I went to change out the feeder for the pekins and found a BUNCH of maggots around the feeder where they had spilled feed. This grossed me out so I moved them to a much bigger coop that we built for the WH until we could clean and treat their smaller coop.

Today I went to do the same thing but found the maggots INSIDE their feeder. :he So now I’m wondering if maybe the flock raiser is susceptible some how and I should change their feed? Or maybe it’s the nutritional yeast? I know that maggots come from flies but maybe those ingredients make the “perfect” environment?

In the meantime I took an unused seedling tray and dumped their food in.

does anyone have any suggestions? Or had this problem? Or feeder/food suggestions? I don’t want this issue to multiply as ducks/geese move out of the brooder. This is my first flock of waterfowl and the first flock at all on this farm. The pekins are more or less an experiment to see what works so I’m glad but also… :idunno

So I have 4 jumbo pekins (4 weeks) that are outside full time and 2 goslings 3 weeks) and 15 WH (1.5 weeks) still inside. They have all been getting purina flock raiser from the same bag and it is dry and perfect with no problems.. for the inside peeps. Everyone gets a mix of flock raiser, nutritional yeast and grit (with additional free choice grit), the pekins are starting to get purina duck feed mixed in too (1c duck feed : 4c flock raiser mix).

last week I went to change out the feeder for the pekins and found a BUNCH of maggots around the feeder where they had spilled feed. This grossed me out so I moved them to a much bigger coop that we built for the WH until we could clean and treat their smaller coop.

Today I went to do the same thing but found the maggots INSIDE their feeder. :he So now I’m wondering if maybe the flock raiser is susceptible some how and I should change their feed? Or maybe it’s the nutritional yeast? I know that maggots come from flies but maybe those ingredients make the “perfect” environment?

In the meantime I took an unused seedling tray and dumped their food in.

does anyone have any suggestions? Or had this problem? Or feeder/food suggestions? I don’t want this issue to multiply as ducks/geese move out of the brooder. This is my first flock of waterfowl and the first flock at all on this farm. The pekins are more or less an experiment to see what works so I’m glad but also… :idunno
How close is their water source to the feeders?
I don't usually have a problem unless it gets real wet.

It’s pretty close, and hot and humid and wet here (Georgia). Even if I moved the waterer away, they still need the water to manage the crumbles and it’ll still be humid.. maybe switching to the FR pellets would help?

It’s pretty close, and hot and humid and wet here (Georgia). Even if I moved the waterer away, they still need the water to manage the crumbles and it’ll still be humid.. maybe switching to the FR pellets would help?
Yeah, they need the water.
But it doesn't have to be real close. I do find crumbles to draw more flies than pellets.
I think less goes on the ground than crumbles.

Yeah, they need the water.
But it doesn't have to be real close. I do find crumbles to draw more flies than pellets.
I think less goes on the ground than crumbles.
Just checked and I can’t find purina fr pellets anywhere… does anyone know of starter pellets that I can get online? Flock raiser crumble was all I could find around here in stores but if that’s not gonna work I’ll happily order something that’s recommended. I just won’t need too much more starter for much longer lol. At least until next year!

Just checked and I can’t find purina fr pellets anywhere… does anyone know of starter pellets that I can get online? Flock raiser crumble was all I could find around here in stores but if that’s not gonna work I’ll happily order something that’s recommended. I just won’t need too much more starter for much longer lol. At least until next year!
mazuri and mannapro both have duck starter, i don’t know if any other companies that have good quality starter though (besides chicken starter, which is not right for ducks)

I like nutrena naturewise all flock.
It's pelleted.
But since yours are only 4 weeks old idk. You may just need to deal with it a couple more weeks.

I like nutrena naturewise all flock.
It's pelleted.
But since yours are only 4 weeks old idk. You may just need to deal with it a couple more weeks.
Just ordered 100lbs of mazzuri starter, that’s pellets and has higher niacin than purina so maybe stop adding the yeast.. we shall see if that works. I don’t want to continually dump unused feed every 8 hours because of maggots… not to mention the flies. Gonna spray permethrin tomorrow. It’s just not sustainable to do throughout the summer.

Just ordered 100lbs of mazzuri starter, that’s pellets and has higher niacin than purina so maybe stop adding the yeast.. we shall see if that works. I don’t want to continually dump unused feed every 8 hours because of maggots… not to mention the flies. Gonna spray permethrin tomorrow. It’s just not sustainable to do throughout the summer.
Hopefully that'll work out!
I can't say I've ever found maggots on or around my feed.
But I do know when I have littles and crumbles it's messier and draws flies. 🤢

I live in the hot, humid south as well. I only get maggots if wet crumbled food is allowed to stay in place. If you use a bowl instead of a feeder and let them clean it out between feedings problem solved. Btw, the maggots gross you out but are perfectly edible to the ducks. In fact, most of us buy them dead and dried as soldier worm larva or mealworms! I would not recommend spraying permethrin, google it with “mitochondria”. When my son was in 5th grade he developed chronic fatigue after our house was sprayed with it for bedbugs.

Back
Top Bottom