flock refuse eating egg shell

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mulia24, Sep 26, 2009.

1. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

my chickens refuse to eat egg shell, i bake the egg and crushed and feed them and they don't even put their beak in, they look at the shell a that's a rubbish.

how could i give them the egg shell so they want to eat it?

could i just add water and boil it so it would like porridge?

thank you..

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    It may be they are getting enough calcium from the other food they are eating and don't need the egg shell.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    You could try mixing a little feed with it? Are their shells too soft? If not, don't worry to much, they generally will eat when they need it!

Have a blessed day!

4. mulia24

no, they really have not enough calcium supply, even my hen now stopping laying for 1 week, i only fed them cracked corn and rice here in my country. that's why i want to supply them with egg shell.

yes, i've tried to mix it, they're too smart to take only the grain and ignore the egg shell, the egg shell is hard after i grind it up.

so how can i feed it to my flock? they've too low supply of calcium, thank you all for helping. [​IMG]

5. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    I don't bake my egg shells. I just let them dry and then break them up. In the beginning, when I would stack them, I dusted them with corn meal to enable them to be broken up (by hand because they were gooey). My chickens love their eggs.

6. mulia24

oh, i still need help here, em, corn meal, never heard it here. [​IMG]

can i just mix it with water and boil it? it would be a porridge i think.

thank you for helping.

7. garp94

garp94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    New York
    I add it to cooked oatmeal.

I don't think the pieces will softer if you boiled it alone.

8. mulia24

ups, quaker is quite expensive here since we import it from US, but i'll give it little and mix it. worth to try. [​IMG]

thank you.

and any idea will be much appreciate.

9. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Quote:I have tried to just break them into small peices and mix in with their grains. They might take it better if it's hidden in with food they already recognize. The meal that others sujested is just for helping it from sticking together. (I think) Good luck.

10. LAChick

LAChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    mulia24, is it a possibility that your hens are low on protein if they slowed down laying. If this might be the case you can give them cruched peanuts. Or are their shells soft when they lay, then it is not a protein problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by