Flock size and diversity

polychickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
Greetings. I became a new chicken keeper several weeks ago and I'm learning as I go.

Currently I have 15 chickens in one coop that are straight run with a mix of Rhode islands, new hampshires, Plymouth barred rocks, and brown leghorns. These are 8-9 weeks old.

In another coop, I have 15 pullets with 5 each of RIR's, Plymouth barred rocks, and brown leghorns. The pullets are 4 weeks old.

Both flocks have been totally seperated at all times. Now I have built a permanent 12x16' caged run which is attached to both coops. My plan was to allow both flocks to use the run, but at different times of day so as to keep them seperated. (Someone told me that a flock should be no more than around 15 chickens-I think to limit fighting.)

I am not yet sure who the roosters are in the older flock, but my plan was to get rid of them except for 2-3, so my total number of birds will likely be 23-25.

I was wondering if I could mix all 30 birds now or if that would create problems. What would happen if I opened both coops to the run and let them all spill in and out at will, considering the breeds and ages of the chicks?

Also, which breeds of rooster should I keep if I have more than one?

Thanks for your input!

Polychickens

I have a 20x20 ft pen I used for my birds and I had 30 to 40 standards in there. They had plenty of room and could move about freely. To me 12x16 ft seems a bit small for 30 birds to all live together. So going with split run usage seems ok. Except... all birds need to be outside as much as possible so I think your going to be frustrated with this idea before long.

I suggest consider building a second matching pen where all birds can be outside when they choose to be.

Arklady

Back
Top Bottom