Flock will not leave the coop

Sweetwater94

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2017
I am new to owning chickens. I have only owned my chickens for about two months. I have a small flock of 6 hens and 1 rooster. I am having issues getting any of them to leave the coop. I feed and water them outside the coop. They will come out long enough to eat and drink and then go right back in the coop. Is this normal? I've talked to a friend who suggested I get a new rooster because my rooster is very docile . I'm just not sure what to do or if I should do anything. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Do you have a secure run for them to leave the coop to go into?
Hawks flying around?
How old are your chickens and how long have they been out in the coop?

Another cock bird will likely make no difference. If they are new to the coop, then don't worry about it - they are just being cautious. Having your food and water outside is good. Having a degree of cover nearby will help them gain confidence - being prey animals, they are not so keen on open areas, where predators can potentially attack.

Are these young Chickens?.....Its normal and in time they will get more confident to stay out longer...Put some stumps, dirt lumps, big rock and a roost in the run...Feed treats out their and they will venture out more...Provide shade too....

Do you have a secure run for them to leave the coop to go into?
Hawks flying around?
How old are your chickens and how long have they been out in the coop?

They have a secure run. I haven't seen any hawks flying around. My rooster is 2 years old and my hens range from 18 months to 2 years old

Photos and an idea of where you are might help us. It's possible it's so dang hot outside they are more comfortable inside if it is cooler and there is no shade. It could be a lot of other things, it's really hard to tell across the internet.

What's the downside to them spending most of the time inside? They'll poop more inside so you might have to manage the poop a bit more. I can't think of anything else. I just don't see a problem.

I doubt getting a different rooster would change anything in this regard. I don't see how it would help anything, but I don't see a problem to start with. As long as the rooster is not causing a problem with you or the flock, I see no reason to change him out. Why take the chance on getting a bad rooster?

Back
Top Bottom