Flock wiped out last night (description is a little graphic, but no photos)

Welcome, and I'm so sorry!
Many of us have been there too, and it's awful. I hope you can move forward with cute new chicks this spring, because in spite of everything, it's so worth it.
Add another layer of protection out there too, like electric fencing, and/or a safe run. Nobody will forget the coop, ever again, but things happen.
Mary
Yes! Thank you. We’ll definitely be getting new chickens in a couple of months and will fortify the pen and coop.

So sorry that happened. Around here, that would sound like a family of raccoons. The good news, I guess, is that they're very easy to trap.
This has happened to me before (losing birds the few random times I didn't lock up because, yeah, life happens) and what bothers me about it is that you probably have a predator out there every stinking night testing the coop.

So sorry, chickens are so hard to protect, people work, we have to sleep etc. The only 100% way to keep them safe 24 7 is get a good LGD , I have a large farm and have 8 great pyreneese. I have almost no predator problems (except hawks) which if these dogs could fly would not be a problem. I sleep good at night and can leave the house knowing everythings in good hands. These dogs will not allow anything in the property.

:welcome :frow So sorry for your loss. It's hard to say but my guess would be either coyote or fox. If you have a game cameras, put it up because the predator will be back and then you will know for sure what has been lurking. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom