Flock With Worms/Getting Sickly - Need Help From Worming Experts!

8hipchicks

Songster
10 Years
Aug 7, 2009
I believe I have a worm infestation running through my 1.5 year old flock of laying hens. Most of symptoms of being quiet, shaking neck, gulping in air and squeeking/honking (did not see any gape worms looking down their throats with flashlight) with bubbly, clear mucus poop with barely discernable worms no thicker than a human hair and about ¼ long squirming in the mucus part. This has been going on for 2 days.

I have started them on Wazine because it was the wormer I could find most locally. Fortunately, it is extremely hot here and they are gulping it down.

No one has injectable ivomec but I can get ivomec eprinex. pour on for beef and dairy cattle (eprinomectin).

Would this be a good choice in case these are capillary worms? If so, do I use a needleless syringe to apply some on the back of the neck and rub in?

If not, should I hold out and take a chance and order injectable online? I'm afraid of it arriving too late and losing hens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated for my girls.

Hi -

I use Eprinex on my birds. I just drop 5 or 6 drops on the skin on their necks. It absorbs instantly. It takes care of worms and mites and is zero slaughter withdrawal, so we can still eat the eggs. I'm not sure, though, if you should use it along with Wazine. Maybe someone else can chime in and help.

I've never wormed my flocks and it's ocurring to me that living in coastal SC I probably should, at least once a year. Every time I do a search for worms, I get almost too much info, so I'd love for one of the old pros to answer the wormer question clearly.
big_smile.png

Continue with the Wazine. Really it is a good all around product. Repeat your treatment in a week and let them drink, drink, drink.

After the second treatment, you should be looking for a stronger worner. There are some VERY expensive and VERY good wormers out there. Most on here use the ivernmectin and give a correct dose to each and every bird in the flock.

Remember, the worms will come back becuase they are in a life cycle and you MUST be diligent and treat over at least two to three times.

sounds like you caught this farily early. Round worms are usually what a chicken will carry.

Sjisty is correct. Use the Eprinex 14 days after you first used the Wazine. Eprinex will kill most worms except tapeworms. Do not repeat second worming with Wazine, use Eprinex only.

You guys are the best! Thanks for answering my questions. There is so much info on worming out there I know that others really appreciate a simple, clear, concise answer.

I do think we caught this early and since they are gulping down the Wazine they are passing the worms. In 24 hours The honking/squeeking has stopped. They are already much more chipper and those cute tail feathers are back up and swishing around.

Thank you especially for the info that there is a lifecycle to these worms and I will need to do followup treatment. I wouldn't have thought to do that. Very important info.

THANKS
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom