URGENT, PLEASE HELP! Severe adult Cocci, worms in my flock or something else?? how to treat my girls and get them to recover big and strong?

henfriend1998

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
i have two hens (Frida a buff brahma and Agnes a silver laced wyandotte) inside right now with what we think is Cocci.

all of the symptoms but our fecal float came back clear. the vet and a relative let is know that its possible the parasites just arent shedding eggs, and that we shouldnt rule it out just because it an be so deadly and we already have the Corid to treat it. my partner’s mothers puppies recently had Cocci symptoms, and they had two fecal floats done, both came back clear but she went ahead and treated for Cocci and they got well again. i’ve also heard the coccidia eggs found during the fecal float are very small and easy to miss.

Agnes and Frida both had a couple doses and i swear they seem more alert, active, and interested in food a few hours after. i’m wondering if they arent dealing with worms too, since i know Frida went to the vet with most of these same symptoms last month, and the fecal float showed she was overrun with worms. she was treated with an antibiotic injection and ivermectin and was back to herself in a week or less, aside from the weight she lost while she was sick (and she was always our most robust girl). the only thing is, i wasnt certain of the right dose to give them based on their body weight so i wanted to get the follow-up dose from my vet, and they said they’d call me back, we werent able to get ahold of them till today. is it possible they have worms and cocci at the same time? they’re around two and a half and have been showing these symptoms since friday, and i questioned myself about if Frida looked off thursday. i had been noting she wasn’t gaining back weight. friday she was inactive, standing with a hunched fluffed up posture and her head close to her body, tail a little droopy, droppings in her butt feathers, completely uninterested in food, not making any noise, moving slowly or barely moving, isolating herself, she looked not alert in her eyes, and worst of all her droppings were almost nothing but watery mucus, some thick white bits, a small segment of browish-green poop, and it was tinted red like before when she had a severe case of worms. she hadn’t been laying these past few days and neither was Agnes, and its 100+ degrees here in Texas so i chocked it up to the heat. we took her in Friday and the vet said he wasn’t certain, and landed on it being a fungal infection in her crop and gave us itraconazole to give her twice a day. when she came home she was doing even worse and still not eating, so i gave her some rooster booster poultry cell vitamin and electrolyte probiotic garlic water. i later found out how giving chickens multivitamins like this when they have Cocci can just feed the parasite or bloom and cause it to get worse. she continued to decline and Saturday we tried to call the vet and talk to him about it, but they didnt get back to us before they closed. then Sunday we called a vet after hours and told her all this and they said it would be a good idea to pick up some Corid or Safeguard to deworm her. before Corid she had stopped eating, was drinking less and using the bathroom less, and seemed even more listless and almost near death. within four hours or so of a small direct dose (.1, and .3 now, shes a big breed but shes skin and bones) she was drinking lots, went the bathroom and there was much less of a red tint, if any (now there isnt but its still liquid, mucusy, and yellowish. Agnes had one yellow foamy liquidy poop after her first dose of Corid the next morning, and afterwards her poops were solid and just a little green) and even showed interest in food. the next morning she was much more alert in the eyes, moving at a more normal speed, and even walking a bit. she drank and ate, even just her plain 16% layer feed. because she hadn’t eaten for three days before that and i was pretty certain we knew it was worms or Cocci and probably a resulting bacterial infection, and that she’d responded well and quick to antibiotic injections and meds for parasites, we brought her to urgent care drop off since we weren’t able to get an appointment, not wanting to leave her somewhere but knowing the vets had the knowledge and expertise to care for her better than we could if it became life threatening. i told them everything and about the Corid and how it helped, but that i hadn’t given her a dose that morning because i wanted them to get her weight to give her the right dose, and partially because i didnt know if the doctor would want her on something different or find another parasite in the fecal float. we dropped her off at 9:00ish and she wasnt seen until 5:45. they never gave her the Corid or any antibiotic, they said she was up and interested in food and water and seemed stable, and they also did an x-ray and said they found a mass in her abdomen, but that they hadn’t ruled it out being a swollen lymph node/gland (i know chickens have lymphatic systems but i dont know how they work), but that it could also be an infection or cancer. this broke me, it was the last thing i expected. i thought we’d figured it out. (what do you think about the mass they found? it wasn’t in her digestive tract or organs, and they hadn’t ruled out it being a swollen lymph. if she had severe Cocci and a subsequent bacterial infection in her intestine, i imagine her lymphatic and immune system was working very hard to keep her alive. do you think this could be the case for the mass they saw in the x-ray, that its a swollen lymph?) her and Agnes started showing the same symptoms two days apart, and they both responded really well to the Corid direct dose. Agnes, because i caught hers when she was just starting to lose interest in food (i noticed her pale comb first) is already doing better than Frida after just one dose. the vet tech told me NOT to give Frida more Corid, that the vet wanted to rule out other things, and to give her an oral antibiotic, prednisone oral steroid, and itraconazole in case it was fungal. they told us that her improving was a coincidence, but that she had’t pooped ALL DAY so they weren’t able to do a fecal drop test to see if she had worms or parasites. this really worried me, and i was terrified that she has set there and declined all day without her Corid dose, having not eaten for days. i was already in tears over what they told me about the x-ray and i was so confused. didn’t want to disagree with a professional, but me and my partner have had these birds since two days after they hatched. we love them more than anything and we spend all day with them sometimes, and we know them well enough to be able to tell when they’re off. we had watched her, seen her exhibit all the symptoms of Cocci or at least bad worms, given her a Corid dose, and seen her improve. THEN we saw Agnes showing similar symptoms, also brought her indoors and gave her a Corid dose and she too improved in hours. like i said, i didn’t want to go against doctors orders but i was afraid if i hesitated she would die. when they brought her out i could tell by the look in her eyes, her lack of small movements, and just the feeling that she was doing worse again. that night she did not eat, did not drink, and used the bathroom once or twice maybe (still no blood thank god). we gave her the antibiotic, antifungal, and steroid that night and agreed we’d see how she improved from it in the morning, and she hadn’t at all. we were back to square one. i knew she might die if i didn’t go with my gut and give her the Corid. i didn’t want to go against the vet but i knew if i didn’t she wouldnt make it, she was already so weak. so we gave her a .3 dose, and within a couple hours she looked more alert in the eyes, was moving and at a more normal speed, was walking around, drank a good bit of water, her posture looked more normal, she was making noise for the first time in days, and she even pooped, and it was the most green/brown bits i’d seem so far. Agnes is also doing better after her second direct dose today it seems like. her comb and wattle is still really pale but she looks like shes feeling alright and is enthusiastic about exploring the house and getting treats. is that something thats likely to persist for a bit if the parasite is severe enough? should we bring them in for an exam? should we give them a dose of ivermectin? since they missed their follow up dose its almost impossible for them not to have worms, isn’t it? is Corid and ivermectin safe to give in the same day? should she stay on the antifungal one of the vets gave us (the ones who took the x-ray, not the ones we got a fecal float from today)? will the prednisone help her with what she’s experiencing? the antibiotic shes on is Enrofloxacin and the dosage of everything is that 1.0ml by mouth daily, .4ml prednisone by mouth daily, .2ml of itraconazole twice daily (i don’t know if we need this one), along with .3ml of Corid twice a day for the next five to seven days. are all these meds safe to give together? do any seem unnecessary? i’m just afraid to do more harm than good. even though Frida and Agnes are both indoors, do they need to stay separate from each other? how long should they stay separate from the three others in the flock? how will we know when she’s doing better? is there any way to make her gain back the weight she lost faster? should i give the rest of my flock the preventative dose or the treatment dose since its obvious it spread through their environment? since they’re eating i shouldn’t give them it directly right? how long should i wait between ivermectin deworming doses? how many rounds should i do to make sure i’m killing the eggs that hatched after the previous round? is there a dewormer thats more broad spectrum and kills more types of worms and parasites? also, Agnes is prone to growing long claws, they just dont wear down like the other girls’ do. how can i trim them? for context, they have a fully enclosed wire coop with complete cover over part of the top and back corner, plenty of nesting boxes but one they all fight over, a raised rabbit hutch they’re locked in to sleep at night for safety, an enclosed run with a dirt floor (landlord told us the yard was fenced and it isnt) but they free range often but less in this heat because we cant watch them, near total shade cover from the treetops, multiple water bowls that we usually refresh daily but ought to clean more, a box fan facing into their coop and another box fan facing into their run because of the heat, and a plastic kiddie pool they can step into. we’ve been misting them off during extreme heat, so the ground is wet sometimes more than it usually would be this time of year. i know warm, wet ground, feeders and waters that need cleaning, and enclosed runs are culprits for Cocci, but other stuff too. thats another reason i think its Cocci. they eat Nutrena Naturewise 16% layer feed crumble, have free choice oyster shells, and last month i had added cinnamon, oregano and red pepper flakes to their feed, and i had been adding electrolyte and probiotic powder to their food, as well as poultry cell liquid vitamin when i’d get their food wet as a “treat” (they love their mush lol). they do get treats, and i think they’ve been getting too many, especially since we give them watery fruits and veggies to cool off and hydrate with during the heat. the rest of my flock is still not showing any symptoms but i think they should at least get dewormed and given a preventative dose of Corid. what do yall think about this whole situation? any help or insight is more than appreciated! thank you so much, from me and Frida and Agnes. i’ll attatch some pictures of them and some of the droppings they’ve had.

Attachments

• FA70CCC0-E182-4598-88AB-2F4D187A772C.jpeg
    FA70CCC0-E182-4598-88AB-2F4D187A772C.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 83
  • EA84D778-14D1-45F5-9421-A79C6B8F7BB0.jpeg
    EA84D778-14D1-45F5-9421-A79C6B8F7BB0.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 33
  • A532CFC9-9A21-4BEA-9B62-FFD71F96FE9C.jpeg
    A532CFC9-9A21-4BEA-9B62-FFD71F96FE9C.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 7C535540-D72B-4B15-9FF1-AEA9AFE0DACF.jpeg
    7C535540-D72B-4B15-9FF1-AEA9AFE0DACF.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 30
  • 4C237241-C333-4A09-A2C6-AB819F63F7BE.jpeg
    4C237241-C333-4A09-A2C6-AB819F63F7BE.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 5C199F96-B152-47DA-8B67-11702A772EE1.jpeg
    5C199F96-B152-47DA-8B67-11702A772EE1.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 29
  • BF320B4D-8343-4046-8DDC-BA93DDF342AA.jpeg
    BF320B4D-8343-4046-8DDC-BA93DDF342AA.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 52BCB491-C5EE-4DF9-996E-AE94A19BFF9A.jpeg
    52BCB491-C5EE-4DF9-996E-AE94A19BFF9A.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 9B4FA3BC-844C-4F98-8659-F27575A769A0.jpeg
    9B4FA3BC-844C-4F98-8659-F27575A769A0.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not an expert, but with the white poops, do you consider to treat vent gleet? If it's vent gleet (yeast infection), antibiotics are useless and you can follow this treatment:
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

For dewormer, Valbazen or Safeguard is better than ivermectin. I would try Covid and yeast infection cream first and wait to see if you need to deworm.

It's hard to overdose Corid. Just follow the directions on the package. It us not an antibiotic. Cocci are protozoa, not bacteria. They can have have worms at the same time, so you can treat for that, too. And no need to separate them. None of these are contagious like that. If they were, they've been exposed already anyway.

If the vet put them on all those meds, then follow those directions, too. Finish any meds as per directed.

There are A LOT of ailments that can cause those symptoms. Sounds like the vet is just trying everything, but they wouldn't tell you to use those meds if they were harmful or antagonistic, unkessthey are grossly incompetent. Unfortinately, cancer and reproductive issues are fairly common. I've lost 3 recently to reproductive issues and have another who I think probably has cancer.

i have two hens (Frida a buff brahma and Agnes a silver laced wyandotte) inside right now with what we think is Cocci.

all of the symptoms but our fecal float came back clear. the vet and a relative let is know that its possible the parasites just arent shedding eggs, and that we shouldnt rule it out just because it an be so deadly and we already have the Corid to treat it. my partner’s mothers puppies recently had Cocci symptoms, and they had two fecal floats done, both came back clear but she went ahead and treated for Cocci and they got well again. i’ve also heard the coccidia eggs found during the fecal float are very small and easy to miss.

Agnes and Frida both had a couple doses and i swear they seem more alert, active, and interested in food a few hours after. i’m wondering if they arent dealing with worms too, since i know Frida went to the vet with most of these same symptoms last month, and the fecal float showed she was overrun with worms. she was treated with an antibiotic injection and ivermectin and was back to herself in a week or less, aside from the weight she lost while she was sick (and she was always our most robust girl). the only thing is, i wasnt certain of the right dose to give them based on their body weight so i wanted to get the follow-up dose from my vet, and they said they’d call me back, we werent able to get ahold of them till today. is it possible they have worms and cocci at the same time? they’re around two and a half and have been showing these symptoms since friday, and i questioned myself about if Frida looked off thursday. i had been noting she wasn’t gaining back weight. friday she was inactive, standing with a hunched fluffed up posture and her head close to her body, tail a little droopy, droppings in her butt feathers, completely uninterested in food, not making any noise, moving slowly or barely moving, isolating herself, she looked not alert in her eyes, and worst of all her droppings were almost nothing but watery mucus, some thick white bits, a small segment of browish-green poop, and it was tinted red like before when she had a severe case of worms. she hadn’t been laying these past few days and neither was Agnes, and its 100+ degrees here in Texas so i chocked it up to the heat. we took her in Friday and the vet said he wasn’t certain, and landed on it being a fungal infection in her crop and gave us itraconazole to give her twice a day. when she came home she was doing even worse and still not eating, so i gave her some rooster booster poultry cell vitamin and electrolyte probiotic garlic water. i later found out how giving chickens multivitamins like this when they have Cocci can just feed the parasite or bloom and cause it to get worse. she continued to decline and Saturday we tried to call the vet and talk to him about it, but they didnt get back to us before they closed. then Sunday we called a vet after hours and told her all this and they said it would be a good idea to pick up some Corid or Safeguard to deworm her. before Corid she had stopped eating, was drinking less and using the bathroom less, and seemed even more listless and almost near death. within four hours or so of a small direct dose (.1, and .3 now, shes a big breed but shes skin and bones) she was drinking lots, went the bathroom and there was much less of a red tint, if any (now there isnt but its still liquid, mucusy, and yellowish. Agnes had one yellow foamy liquidy poop after her first dose of Corid the next morning, and afterwards her poops were solid and just a little green) and even showed interest in food. the next morning she was much more alert in the eyes, moving at a more normal speed, and even walking a bit. she drank and ate, even just her plain 16% layer feed. because she hadn’t eaten for three days before that and i was pretty certain we knew it was worms or Cocci and probably a resulting bacterial infection, and that she’d responded well and quick to antibiotic injections and meds for parasites, we brought her to urgent care drop off since we weren’t able to get an appointment, not wanting to leave her somewhere but knowing the vets had the knowledge and expertise to care for her better than we could if it became life threatening. i told them everything and about the Corid and how it helped, but that i hadn’t given her a dose that morning because i wanted them to get her weight to give her the right dose, and partially because i didnt know if the doctor would want her on something different or find another parasite in the fecal float. we dropped her off at 9:00ish and she wasnt seen until 5:45. they never gave her the Corid or any antibiotic, they said she was up and interested in food and water and seemed stable, and they also did an x-ray and said they found a mass in her abdomen, but that they hadn’t ruled it out being a swollen lymph node/gland (i know chickens have lymphatic systems but i dont know how they work), but that it could also be an infection or cancer. this broke me, it was the last thing i expected. i thought we’d figured it out. (what do you think about the mass they found? it wasn’t in her digestive tract or organs, and they hadn’t ruled out it being a swollen lymph. if she had severe Cocci and a subsequent bacterial infection in her intestine, i imagine her lymphatic and immune system was working very hard to keep her alive. do you think this could be the case for the mass they saw in the x-ray, that its a swollen lymph?) her and Agnes started showing the same symptoms two days apart, and they both responded really well to the Corid direct dose. Agnes, because i caught hers when she was just starting to lose interest in food (i noticed her pale comb first) is already doing better than Frida after just one dose. the vet tech told me NOT to give Frida more Corid, that the vet wanted to rule out other things, and to give her an oral antibiotic, prednisone oral steroid, and itraconazole in case it was fungal. they told us that her improving was a coincidence, but that she had’t pooped ALL DAY so they weren’t able to do a fecal drop test to see if she had worms or parasites. this really worried me, and i was terrified that she has set there and declined all day without her Corid dose, having not eaten for days. i was already in tears over what they told me about the x-ray and i was so confused. didn’t want to disagree with a professional, but me and my partner have had these birds since two days after they hatched. we love them more than anything and we spend all day with them sometimes, and we know them well enough to be able to tell when they’re off. we had watched her, seen her exhibit all the symptoms of Cocci or at least bad worms, given her a Corid dose, and seen her improve. THEN we saw Agnes showing similar symptoms, also brought her indoors and gave her a Corid dose and she too improved in hours. like i said, i didn’t want to go against doctors orders but i was afraid if i hesitated she would die. when they brought her out i could tell by the look in her eyes, her lack of small movements, and just the feeling that she was doing worse again. that night she did not eat, did not drink, and used the bathroom once or twice maybe (still no blood thank god). we gave her the antibiotic, antifungal, and steroid that night and agreed we’d see how she improved from it in the morning, and she hadn’t at all. we were back to square one. i knew she might die if i didn’t go with my gut and give her the Corid. i didn’t want to go against the vet but i knew if i didn’t she wouldnt make it, she was already so weak. so we gave her a .3 dose, and within a couple hours she looked more alert in the eyes, was moving and at a more normal speed, was walking around, drank a good bit of water, her posture looked more normal, she was making noise for the first time in days, and she even pooped, and it was the most green/brown bits i’d seem so far. Agnes is also doing better after her second direct dose today it seems like. her comb and wattle is still really pale but she looks like shes feeling alright and is enthusiastic about exploring the house and getting treats. is that something thats likely to persist for a bit if the parasite is severe enough? should we bring them in for an exam? should we give them a dose of ivermectin? since they missed their follow up dose its almost impossible for them not to have worms, isn’t it? is Corid and ivermectin safe to give in the same day? should she stay on the antifungal one of the vets gave us (the ones who took the x-ray, not the ones we got a fecal float from today)? will the prednisone help her with what she’s experiencing? the antibiotic shes on is Enrofloxacin and the dosage of everything is that 1.0ml by mouth daily, .4ml prednisone by mouth daily, .2ml of itraconazole twice daily (i don’t know if we need this one), along with .3ml of Corid twice a day for the next five to seven days. are all these meds safe to give together? do any seem unnecessary? i’m just afraid to do more harm than good. even though Frida and Agnes are both indoors, do they need to stay separate from each other? how long should they stay separate from the three others in the flock? how will we know when she’s doing better? is there any way to make her gain back the weight she lost faster? should i give the rest of my flock the preventative dose or the treatment dose since its obvious it spread through their environment? since they’re eating i shouldn’t give them it directly right? how long should i wait between ivermectin deworming doses? how many rounds should i do to make sure i’m killing the eggs that hatched after the previous round? is there a dewormer thats more broad spectrum and kills more types of worms and parasites? also, Agnes is prone to growing long claws, they just dont wear down like the other girls’ do. how can i trim them? for context, they have a fully enclosed wire coop with complete cover over part of the top and back corner, plenty of nesting boxes but one they all fight over, a raised rabbit hutch they’re locked in to sleep at night for safety, an enclosed run with a dirt floor (landlord told us the yard was fenced and it isnt) but they free range often but less in this heat because we cant watch them, near total shade cover from the treetops, multiple water bowls that we usually refresh daily but ought to clean more, a box fan facing into their coop and another box fan facing into their run because of the heat, and a plastic kiddie pool they can step into. we’ve been misting them off during extreme heat, so the ground is wet sometimes more than it usually would be this time of year. i know warm, wet ground, feeders and waters that need cleaning, and enclosed runs are culprits for Cocci, but other stuff too. thats another reason i think its Cocci. they eat Nutrena Naturewise 16% layer feed crumble, have free choice oyster shells, and last month i had added cinnamon, oregano and red pepper flakes to their feed, and i had been adding electrolyte and probiotic powder to their food, as well as poultry cell liquid vitamin when i’d get their food wet as a “treat” (they love their mush lol). they do get treats, and i think they’ve been getting too many, especially since we give them watery fruits and veggies to cool off and hydrate with during the heat. the rest of my flock is still not showing any symptoms but i think they should at least get dewormed and given a preventative dose of Corid. what do yall think about this whole situation? any help or insight is more than appreciated! thank you so much, from me and Frida and Agnes. i’ll attatch some pictures of them and some of the droppings they’ve had.
What happened with your hens??? I have something similar going on with one of mine. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom