Flock won’t accept healed birds back

pharrison4659

Chirping
Sep 27, 2020
I posted a few months ago that I had a rooster and hen being bullied by flock. One had an injury and they kept picking at her. The rooster I believe just clashes with my other rooster even though they’ve been together since day one. I separated the injured birds into a small coop and they have healed great. So I reintroduced them back to the flock last night. I went to check on them this morning and they both had their heads in the corner scared. Still being picked on. So o separated again to avoid further injury. Any tips on how to have the flock accept them!

It is most likely that the dominant rooster will never allow the second rooster back into the flock. The hen may be gradually introduced over a period of time, but it will require monitoring. In my opinion the 'introduce them at night and all will be well in the morning' is a bunch of malarkey.

Once in a while, you get birds that don't fit in a flock for whatever reason. You might take a head count, because it is NOT uncommon for what was more than enough space to become not enough space when birds become full grown. That is when the flock tries to reduce the numbers themselves, by driving one or two birds out. Insufficient space is often a cause of this.

I too recommend moving this pair on to another flock. Someone that has more space. The rooster is never going to be allowed back in there, and adding a single hen is one of the most difficult integrations.

Mrs K

I know it’s somewhat silly, but she’s one of my favorite hens. I have an 8’x8’ coop and a 12’ enclosed run with 15 chickens total. Now 13 since they’ve exiled 2. I may just let the two free range in the yard and I hope to have it completely fenced so they all can by this summer. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I think for sure the roo will have to go.. unfortunately. He’s pitiful.. A silkie with no rear feathers.

I did the math and accordingly you should be fine... but it is only a rule of thumb. It also depends on the birds you have, and perhaps on how it is set up.

Once you get something going like this, it can be very difficult to stop that behavior. So I understand that mathematically you have enough space, but if the 13 are now getting along, they are telling you that you don't. Sometimes you have to listen to the birds.

Are the other birds full size birds? Because often silkies do not work with them.

Mrs K

They are all full size birds. I introduced them to the 3 silkies when they were young. I have 4 SLW, 4 BO, 4 ISAs, and 3 silkies. 😊 Well I guess my silkie roo and my BO hen will live in the small coop and explore the yard during the day.

Back
Top Bottom