Flock won’t eat, green poop, sudden death

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
On Sunday, my youngest hen Pirate seemed off. I brought her in, overnight she went downhill and died.

The rest of the flock isn’t doing great. They are all 5-7 years old. They haven’t touched their food(Dumor Layer) since Monday. I filled it to the top and they haven’t eaten it. They’ve eaten yogurt and celery and things like that. But crops aren’t full at night. The chicken who is doing the worst, Raven, has a crop that’s full but won’t empty. They all pretty much have green poop. Pirate had a necropsy done. It was inconclusive. Waiting on the rest of the lab results though.

The flock is on corid with nutridrench for the 4th day today. They don’t seem to be improving.

Has anyone else seen this before? I can’t keep losing my flock, they are all my pets.

Attachments

• C702FF0A-B890-4C02-BC1C-F6F7B0FAB45D.jpeg
    C702FF0A-B890-4C02-BC1C-F6F7B0FAB45D.jpeg
    873 KB · Views: 36
With respect, 5-7 years old is quite senior for chickens, especially hatchery birds. If they are molting, it can be especially rough on older birds and put them off their feed.

Actually, i’m glad you pointed this out. I may have not read into this as much before because I’ve never had a chicken die around this time so suddenly.

I would guess either an internal organ problem, possibly a cancer, or an oviduct problem.
Much as I hate to write this every chicken I've had here that has produced poop like in the pictures, yours and mine has died within a few weeks despite considerable amounts of intensive care.
The sequence seems to go, shell less or malformed egg, reduced appetite for normal feed and a tendency to eat only forage, loss of weight, posture similar to a chicken having coccidiosis and eventual death.
I intervene now if I see the above sequence and kill the chicken to avoid them suffering unnecessarily.
As Criticalicious mentions 5 to 7 years old for hatchery is a good age.

Back
Top Bottom