Flockin' 2020

CheepPeepers

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
Hello! I wanted to start a cute thread for my babies to document them!
We got 7 chicks on the 18th of March from Tractor Supply, 3 straight run and 4 banties. 2 of the banties are silkies and the other two are mystery though I suspect one is a sebright (which I am stoked about).

I'll get full photos of them in the morning for a recent update, but heres their first pictures and a few from their first baths!

20200318_101532.jpg

20200318_103144.jpg

20200318_150129.jpg

20200324_093452.jpg

20200324_101345.jpg

We used to use newspaper for substrate, but we havent gotten newspaper for years, so they got an upgrade lol.

Weve had some fun adventures so far! Four times now theyve managed to throughly drain the waterer despite only once getting any of the chicks drenched.
Two of the chicks are named, the two unknown banties.
Aladdin is the black headed one sleeping in the bath which we think may be a gold sebright looking at his/her primary feathers, and is named such because he kept stealing the thermometer and trying to drag it off somewhere. Hes a thief and we love him.

Jafar is the tiniest of the banties, but hes been spotted terrorizing the silkies and tripping them by grabbing their foot feathers. I suspect hes the cause of the drained waterer 2/4 times. I think he tripped the silkies into it, as the second time one of the silkies was actually in the waterer.
So hes aptly named for pestering everyone else as well as poking aggressively at eyes lol
Hes a little jerk, but we love him too. Hes so small!

I'm hoping to name them all as I see their individual personalities come out, so it's just these two so far.
The banties seem to be the calmest. Jafar, Aladdin, and one of the silkies have no problem being handled, but the other silkie and two of the straight run do not like being touched yet, choosing to scream instead. The last of the trio of straight run doesnt seem fond of it, but doesnt panic like her sisters. I'm hoping to have them more used to handling soon, and that their personalities arent just panic and run lol

Anyway I'll get an updated pic of each one in here soon! The guessing game is going strong, and their feathers are coming in fast! It's been such fun speculating on who's a rooster and who's a hen, and one of these weeks we'll know for sure lol
Watching them interact has been a blast so far. They're such good babies.

They are adorable, I think they will be less skittish as they develop. The way to a chicken's heart is through their stomach. If you start sitting with them and offer treats, they will end up mobbing you. I guess mealworms are their favorite but, ugh, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

They are adorable, I think they will be less skittish as they develop. The way to a chicken's heart is through their stomach. If you start sitting with them and offer treats, they will end up mobbing you. I guess mealworms are their favorite but, ugh, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Thanks! And hopefully! I remember with the last Flock we had there was just one hen that no matter what we did, did not like being touched by our big monkey hands lol

How old should they be to give them mealworms? I thought they were too young for them so I didnt grab any :0
I got little minnow snacks for when they got older but I thought it was between the minnows and the mealworms for adult treats lol

Two Crows would know more than I about when chicks are old enough for meal worms, etc.
I can't even stand the thought of them "live" but, I wouldn't touch dried meal worms either.:sick

Back
Top Bottom